jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: What's the weather like where you are?

Good Sunday Morning!
Overcast, 57 degrees, calm. Nothing in the rain gauge overnight.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining for the past 24 hours more or less with a few breaks. Not a hard rain but anything from a light drizzle to moderate rain. It will help the weeds grow for sure. It is actually the better rain for us since it is slow enough to soak into dry ground and that will eventually replenish the aquifer so it is more desirable than a deluge that just floods and runs off into the ocean. Right now the temperature is 69 degrees and may go up to the low 80's.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

85 and sunny! We had total less than half an inch of rain in Oct! Forecast is maybe rain on Thurs, but currently it is shown as 40% chance of a thundershower giving .05 inch of rain. The drought forecast is for our area to stay in drought through Jan (the end of the forecast period:
drought forecast.jpg

https://www.climatecentral.org/news/wint ... ign=buffer

we are predicted to have a warmer and drier winter than usual, I.e. more of the same pattern we've been in since May....

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

In some ways, it's amazing that there are such extreme differences, one part of the US, to another. In other ways, it's not as surprising. Here's a surprise - extremes. Records set.

Areas of Tennessee and Georgia may see the driest fall on record. Some weather stations in that area are already reporting drought records. Looking back just a few years ago at 1985 and 1993 when there was extreme drought ... wow!

Your records have to be older than here but last month was the wettest October here with records back to 1888, I believe it is. I'd like to pretend a willingness to share but we came out of a 2015 drought with a very dry summer, 2016. Maybe you can look to Pacific ocean salmon and shrimp in your stores to appreciate the rain that has fallen recently in the Northwest. If we can get through winter with a good deal of soil moisture, it should also mean good wheat crops in 2017.

Now, if I can just get the garden cleanup finished, out there in the mud and before snow!

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cool and sunny 53 degs F at noon today. Looks like the bees will get a chance to come out for a cleansing flight.

applestar
Mod

Weather forecasts here are COMPLETELY unreliable -- this morning's predicted 35-36°F turned into 30°F. Heavy frost (not mentioned). This has been a trend. I am subtracting 5 degrees from every forecast from here on out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Our temps have been going down rapidly, now mostly in the 60's with lows in the 40's. But dry, dry, dry. The only rain in our ten day forecast is Wed 11/16, a 50% chance of .03" inches of rain. We had a total of .08" of rain in October (the lowest October rainfall since the dust bowl days of the 1930's). Normal would be over 4 inches. This year to date (Jan through October) is the driest year EVER recorded in Chattanooga in the 150 years or so we have records. AND as a consequence we are having tons of wildfires, which is not typical around here.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/loca ... ze/396432/ (fires-wrap-city-smoky-haze)

Even though some folks do not want to hear it, this IS what climate change looks like.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

applestar wrote:Weather forecasts here are COMPLETELY unreliable -- this morning's predicted 35-36°F turned into 30°F. Heavy frost (not mentioned). This has been a trend. I am subtracting 5 degrees from every forecast from here on out.
I hear you. It's a very complicated process here to predict what is going to happen. First of all, I have to enter a neighboring zip code into the weather channel site to get the closest 7 day forecast for where I live, because it's more accurate than the forecast for my official zip code. The 2 to 6 degree difference between the 2 zips is actually closer to what actually happens here.

Then, from that predicted low, I have to subtract an additional, say, 2 to 4 degrees to get what my actual air temperature will probably be in this location. Then, (are you with me?) (I'm lost) :? I've found that it will frost here even if the air temperature is as warm as say, 38 to 41 degrees. I've had a skim of ice on the birdbath when the air is maybe 40 degrees and ice on the plant leaves and on the top of the vehicles. Then, taking into account the margin of error...But, I've learned to make these very complex calculations almost instantaneously. :) 8) Necessity is the mother of invention, no? I don't dare to move away; I'd have to learn all this again. :-()

applestar
Mod

Yep. I think paying attention to these forecasted weather vs. actual conditions in your garden is one of the first, imperative learning curve, especially during the critical turnover from winter to spring and fall to winter. ...and of course the weather patterns change every year so the sooner you get the hang of "the adjusted temperature formula" the better.

You are doing a great job though :D

...I think this year's weather -- I'm being constantly thrown off.

25°F and hoary frost this morning --- forecast had been 32-33°F :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Still drought, drought, drought; still nothing but clear and sunny in the ten day forecast.

And we have wildfires that have been burning for weeks on all the mountains around us. Too much smoke to get helicopters in, and so dry and warm .... Air quality is on orange or red alerts depending on the day, from all the smoke. The smoke is not quite so bad out where we are, but going in to downtown Chattanooga it is terrible-- my eyes burn, my throat hurts, my chest gets tight. There are warnings out especially for young and old people (like me) not to be out too much and especially not to exert yourself outdoors too much.
chattanooga smoke.jpg
It really does look like that; visibility is like a bad fog.

One good rainy day would do so much to clean the air and slow the fires down, but it is like it has forgotten how to rain here. We haven't had an actual rainy day (as opposed to brief showers) since June, in an area which normally gets four inches of rain every month. Temperatures remain above normal. Prediction for 11/17 is 77 degrees - SIXTEEN degrees above normal.

It feels like the end of days. :( :shock:

applestar
Mod

What an unfortunate luck and turn of events for your first year+ in your new home! :(

...but by all accounts, this is not normal/usual, so hopefully you will see a more pleasant aspect of the area weather patterns over the next year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I hope so. None of us anywhere know what is to come. All of this is VERY unusual by historical norms, the heat, the drought, the fires. California, where I grew up, has always had summer fire season (though not nearly as bad as now). This area never did; it would ordinarily have been way too wet and green for fires to spread.

However, this is not normal times. We have no idea if next year will go back to closer to historically expected rainfall or if this is the new normal. I am of course hoping for the former. I didn't intend to be moving to the desert. It has been a tough gardening year here and lots of what I planted re shrubs and perennials didn't make it. But I do like it here; not sorry I moved.

latitude33
Newly Registered

Calling for a 60% chance of rain...Yay! Finally getting seasonal temps with day time high around 70-72...brr

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

been raining most of the night! finally! high today in the 70's, which is unseasonably warm, but I'll take rain and no need to build a fire gladly.

ACW

London had its first proper frost last night ,now gone midday and theres still frost on the west facing roofs.despite being very sunny.
I think I will have to pick tthe last few green tomatoes and chop down the asparagus ferns .
Its been a fairly warm autumn winter so far ,weather man says frosts for the next couple of nights .
Most of the leaves have fallen except for the weeping willow that unfortunately shades my garden ,that looks like it will hold onto some until mid december ,meaning rakeing the lawn for another few weeks ,they do compost well especially with the addition of plantain skins which I pick up at work.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:... All of this is VERY unusual by historical norms ...
I grew up in northern California and southern Oregon, in gardens from my earliest years. My first gardening on my own was on the California coast. I moved here, nearly 50 years ago. Very few growing seasons have been missed, I didn't have gardens mostly because of moving my residence, I believe I can count them on my fingers but all within a 100 mile area, N to S. Some of those seasons were made up for because I worked on farms and at a greenhouse :).

There have been weather ups and downs, certainly. Years ago, the notion of another Ice Age probably got a little more local attention because so much of the geography around here was formed by glaciers. When actual climate change was first talked about in the 1980's, we experienced a "wet" growing season, locally. I remember thinking that, shoot - if this is what we can expect here, it isn't going to be too bad ...

This area has less than 20" of annual precipitation and less than 2" during the 3 months of summer. To have a 3 or 4 rainstorms and a couple inches of water spread over each summer month was great for the gardens!

It didn't last. One of the fairly recent, "wet" growing seasons was characterized not so much by rain but by cool, cloudy weather. The clouds just would not go away! A normal cool start to the season extended an additional month -- it was like trying to garden in alpine conditions.

More recently, the growing season has been characterised by not infrequent record high temperatures. If not quite drought conditions, we have still had very dry weather. I mean dry by not coming close to those 2" of summer rain we used to be able to expect.

Changeable has become the new normal. Outside of a very dry summer 2016, we have had adequate precipitation, including a record-breaker October rainfall! Last winter was warm but rainy and a snowy winter is predicted. Thankfully! We should continue to have an adequate aquifer for summer water. Continuing but no reason to think guaranteed.

We should learn from each other, in our varied gardening environments. These forums make that possible :).

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is raining again. Curious, on the days I work it is windy but the sun is mostly shining. On the days when I want to work outside it is cloudy and rains all day. Unfortunately, this is normal weather for this time of year. The only abnormal thing is that it is very breezy a couple of months early so the the rain comes in bands. While we haven't had torrential rain or massive flooding the ground is still pretty saturated none the less. The weeds are happy. It is 68 degrees now. I am wearing my "winter clothes", sweat suit and socks. I am using a heating pad for a bed warmer.

applestar
Mod

I imagine there is this exact aspect map somewhere, but I ended up taking screenshots and overlaying weather maps from two different weather apps in a 3rd drawing app, changing the opacity of the thermal image in the process. Heh, it's cold outside and I had time to play :>

...interestingly, it turned out that the two maps were not an exact match even when scaled and rotated, though I did try...

ACW

Well London has had its 5 or 6 days of frost every morning and day time temperatures around 40F,now we have a couple of days with high 50s ,and miserable low cloud and mists keeping everything damp.
the really chilly spell came with very light winds ,meaning busy london air pollution was unpleasant ,last few days has seen a good breeze which shifts the pollutants,and makes breathing easier.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees now with 100% humidity. It has been raining all night and the last time the sun came out was Wednesday. It may clear for a little bit today but more rain is expected for the weekend as well. Not much wind and the rain is coming from the southwest so it is more like cold Kona weather.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We are taking things by thirds and halves.

At 1/3 of the way through December, we have 1/3 of an inch of precipitation, in the form of snow. We are falling 1/3 short for where things should be for annual precipitation.

In November, there was 2/3 of normal precipitation. The 1 1/2" fell as rain.

The limited recent moisture follows a very dry summer but the greatest amount of October rain of any month in history! This is not the monsoon country of Arizona and New Mexico, 1,000 miles south. The geography is interesting in that part of the world, desert yet cut by water erosion, everywhere you look. Here, 1/2 of the moisture that has fallen in 2016 came in a single month's time and yet we back to being 1/3 short. I am hopeful that we will have more winter snow to maintain soil moisture and give some relief to our higher elevation, evergreen forests.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is still cloudy and wet on most days. I finally got out and cut my wet grass and the weed whacker survived. This morning it is 64 degrees and forcast to get a little colder down to 62 degrees as the cold front passes over the next few days.

applestar
Mod

Currently, it's deceptively sunny -- temperature outside is 21°F. It seems unreal but I know its even colder in the central parts of the US and north. :shock:

We had a bit of snow on the ground this morning -- mostly still unmelted, and the winds are roaring -- small wonder considering the significant drop in temp. And the muddy ground wasn't entirely frozen yesterday -- stiff but still sank down under my weight, so the thermal differential must be playing havoc.
Attachments
IMG_1068.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It is hard for me to imagine 21degrees and sunny. I am really cold at around 64 degrees. It will get up close to 80 but I will be inside at work for most of the day. It is still overcast with very little blue sky showing. More rain is coming. I got out to water the yard (well mostly trying to avoid watering the weeds), and I got 10 snails. I need to throw out more slug bait. The rats are eating the slug bait. I picked up a box yesterday and it started coming out of the bottom of the unopened box faster than I could contain it. Slug bait is expensive and it does not kill rats.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today it was in the low 20s and VERY windy, and getting into the low teens tonight. That is why I harvested all the rest of my greens, and covered my rosemary in a hoop house, with a heater in it.

applestar
Mod

Good call, that. Yeah no greens would have survived unheated, even under hoops. Nearest weather station is reporting 14°F right now....

If it would stay cold, we could have snow with 100% precipitation Forecast for Sat and Sun, but aside from possible 22°F tonight (so just a bit of flurries), temps are rising with highs are 45°F on Sat and 62°F !!! :shock: !!! On Sunday.

...lets compare daylight hours again... :D
Attachments
IMG_1080.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Sunrise will be after 7:30am, sunset before 4pm ... aaaahhh!

Ever the "morning person," I was up at 3:30 and the temperatures nearby were above 10°f. Freezing fog was blanketing my neighborhood. The airport was reporting below zero before the fog settled in. I thought that was likely to be our official low for the day.

It's still over 2 hours before sunrise and all three of the nearest Weather Underground thermometers say 2°. I suppose I could try to see ... okay! Stepping out on the deck. Tttthe fffog lifted! Ccccold out there.

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Our weather has been crazy. About 10 days ago we got a cool/cold snap and had to run the heat to keep things comfortable in the house. Since Christmas I've had to run the A/C to do the same. The temperatures outside are not bad being in the mid 70's, but the humidity is crazy and inside feels so muggy that it is uncomfortable. The extended forecast shows much of the same for the next 10 days with only a couple days of cooler weather thrown in to keep the utility company happy.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had a cold snap also mid-Decemberish with night time lows down in the mid-20's, about as cold as it ever gets here, and then a big warm up.

We went back to Cincinnati for Christmas with friends. The day after Christmas, yesterday, was 66 degrees there, which was a new record for the date, surpassing the previous record for the date which was just set this time last year! Warming, anybody?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:We had a cold snap also mid-Decemberish with night time lows down in the mid-20's, about as cold as it ever gets here, and then a big warm up.

We went back to Cincinnati for Christmas with friends. The day after Christmas, yesterday, was 66 degrees there, which was a new record for the date, surpassing the previous record for the date which was just set this time last year! Warming, anybody?
As a grower of vegetables, my biggest concern with having mild winters is the uptick in the bug population when spring and summer get here. I've noticed when we have mild winters, the garden pests seem to come out earlier and with a vengeance when spring arrives as many of them overwinter just like some of my plants.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”