Magnolia
Newly Registered

What to plant now

Hello..

I'm an absolute greenhorn when it comes to gardening and plants and now see myself confronted with a beautiful new home and garden..
We'll move in app. 3 weeks, so it'll be early June.

Is there anything I can plant (flowers, shrubs, herbs) at this time of the year at all?

Since we're in the south we're having an extremely hot summer (today already in the 90s..) and the available space is also exposed to full sun. I don't know much about the quality of the soil, though. How can I determine whether I'm dealing with acidy soil or not? What else is important?

Thank you so much for helping me with my first steps as a gardener.. :wink:

A.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I would get the soil tested first off. The little tests you can get at the nursery are okay, not the best, and you have to make sure you use distilled water (not tap) else your results will be skewed.

I am north of you and am new at gardening in clay (I'm from FL). I think as far as planting in June, you'd best stick to stuff in the shade until mid-September. September is when I am told to get things like clematis, bulbs and other plants into the ground, as they will have a few pleasant months to get established before winter. That's also the "new lawn date" - if you have to kill off your lawn and start fresh.

Magnolia
Newly Registered

Sounds good. How about container-plants and hanging baskets and things like that? Anything to keep me occupied over the summer?

we also plan on planting a saucer magnolia in the front yard, since right now it's absolutely plain and boring. thoughts?

I'll keep you updated on the soil quality - thanks a bunch.

Soil Test for Gardens

A reliable soil test should be available thru your county extension service. The service will explain the how to's. You will be provided with a report that will recommend any needed soil amendments. Soil tests are a time and money saver. Don't buy or add anything to soil until you know its needed.

The master gardeners at the extension service can probably provide you with a planting timetable for your area. Make a visit to an established, independent nursery for another source of information. One hint is to look around your neighborhood and note what is growing. Be aware that containers and hanging baskets require frequent watering, up to three times a day in hot weather, maybe more in your area.

Magnolia
Newly Registered

Re: Soil Test for Gardens

mintylin wrote:A reliable soil test should be available thru your county extension service. The service will explain the how to's. You will be provided with a report that will recommend any needed soil amendments. Soil tests are a time and money saver. Don't buy or add anything to soil until you know its needed.
Yea I guess that's the best way to go. Thank you both very much.. I'd still appreciate opinions on the magnolia tree tho. Funny enough - I haven't seen any in the neighbourhood yet. :cry:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The container idea is a good one as you can do annuals most anytime and you don't need to test (good) potting soil...

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”