Texas.girl
Cool Member

Sunflowers everywhere -- am I at fault :-)

I moved to my land Jan. 2010. That first spring I planted sunflower seeds all over my septic system for the birds. None grew so I did the same thing in 2011. Then that fall goats showed up and in 2012 they enjoyed the sunflowers that started growing abundantly. I occasionally saw birds helping themselves too.

Well, it is now 2013 and not only are their sunflowers growing all over my septic system, but they are also growing in the fenced garden and there is one lone sunflower plant, which looks exactly like my sunflowers, growing along the dirt road approximately 2/3rds mile from my house.

As far as I have seen, no one else is growing sunflower plants around me. This is mostly hunting land, goat ranches, and retirement folks enjoying the countryside. Every time I drive by that lone sunflower plant I wonder what path the seed took to wind up so far from my septic system.

applestar
Mod

Re: Sunflowers everywhere -- am I at fault :-)

Could've been the goat too, I suppose... Or if you have bluejays around, they STUFF their throat pouches until they can't get any more down their throats, then fly off to enjoy their meal. I've seen greedy ones drop seeds and nuts out of their beaks as they fly off or bicker among themselves and other birds.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Texas.girl
Cool Member

Re: Sunflowers everywhere -- am I at fault :-)

Had to have been carried off by a bird. The sunflower by the road is on someone else's property--no goats there. I am amazed the plant is doing so well as the only source of water there is rain water and this is Texas-drought--not much rain in my area. That is why I planted the seeds on my septic system, I didn't want to have to spend time watering them.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”