opp2

mulch me not??

I recently added some black cedar mulch to my garden. I find now that my periwinkle that were doing really well, now are not. They are limp and turning brown in the middle. I didn't move them to put any mulch under, but mulched around the outside of the plant spread? Is it the mulch or something else. There are 6 of them spread over the garden and the same thing is happening to them all.

Jess
Greener Thumb

I don't think it is the mulch that is causing a problem. Vinca are not fussy about soil type or acidity or being too wet or too dry in fact they grow anywhere!
I'm afraid I have no suggestions as to what it could be as I have never seen a sick one.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

There was another thread that mentioned someone's spouse (who shall remain nameless :lol: ) had stepped in the middle of the plants. If not a heavy-footed family member, maybe you have an animal that likes to use them as a bed or scratching post? I don't know, do cutworms bother vinca? I have the viny/bushy type and if something bothers them, I haven't had any yet. Rotsa ruck.

Happy Gardening,

Wingdesigner

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

One more thought, could some of the black dye be leaching out into the soil and THAT's what is making the vinca sulk? I don't know how far away from the plant you have the mulch, but maybe?

Happy Gardening,

Wingdesigner

opp2

wingdesigner wrote:One more thought, could some of the black dye be leaching out into the soil and THAT's what is making the vinca sulk? I don't know how far away from the plant you have the mulch, but maybe?

Happy Gardening,

Wingdesigner
I think that's exactly what did it. They fine up to that point. There's been plenty of rain and I have soaker hoses in the garden. They're pretty hardy though, so I'm not too worried. They just don't look as good as they did. My spirea and one weigela also didn't come this year, so I've got acouple of empty spots anyway.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

If the dye is the culprit, then they should bounce back, and next year you shouldn't see the same problem--unless you put in fresh, unleached, dyed mulch. BTW, is opp your profession, also? Just nosy, you don't have to say.

Happy Gardening.

opp2

wingdesigner wrote:If the dye is the culprit, then they should bounce back, and next year you shouldn't see the same problem--unless you put in fresh, unleached, dyed mulch. BTW, is opp your profession, also? Just nosy, you don't have to say.

Happy Gardening.
It is yes. Gardening is one of my escapes... :wink:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Do you used dyed mulch in your gardens then? I didn't know that. The only dyed mulch in the UK is used on playground surfaces. What do they dye it with? When you said Black Cedar I just presumed you meant the variety of Cedar not dye! Is it normally safe to use around plants?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

OK, who to respond to first. :? Jess, yes, here in the USA we have wood chips and "lava rock" that can be dyed with a redwood (reddish) stain and a black stain. No, I don't use the coloured stuff, in fact I prefer not to use wood for various reasons. I prefer leaves, compost, or well--leached lava rock scavenged from the neighbours, tear-downs, etc. My soil is rather sandy and the organics help with moisture retention. Even though I live in MI, I still try to practise water economy. Besides, I don't like high water bills and watering is a pain... :lol: I'm what you call an avid, lazy gardener (oxymorons, anyone?). As for the what, sorry, don't know. I've never bought any, so I don't know what's on the label. Maybe OPP can help with that one.

As for you, OPP, I'll never cross the border again w/o thinking of you--I see little signs with your name everywhere! Kinda like the old Indian chief in the USA, "Falling Rock". :roll: Go ahead and groan, it's OK. You can blame the spouse for that one...

Happy Gardening, "yall".
Wingdesigner

opp2

Jess wrote:Do you used dyed mulch in your gardens then? I didn't know that. The only dyed mulch in the UK is used on playground surfaces. What do they dye it with? When you said Black Cedar I just presumed you meant the variety of Cedar not dye! Is it normally safe to use around plants?
It's supposedly organic dye, but it does seem to have an effect on some plants. I'll check the label on the bag again and let you know. The lady who helped me plan my garden recommended it.

opp2

wingdesigner wrote:OK, who to respond to first. :?
As for you, OPP, I'll never cross the border again w/o thinking of you--I see little signs with your name everywhere! Kinda like the old Indian chief in the USA, "Falling Rock". :roll: Go ahead and groan, it's OK. You can blame the spouse for that one...

Happy Gardening, "yall".
Wingdesigner
At least you didn't say you wouldn't cross the border at all :D

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

:lol: Been there many times--got my passport. Taranna is one of our favourite hangouts. Between the theatre scene and the Science Centre; Hamilton's Royal Bot. Gardens, etc.. Always something new. But then, you already know that... Or, from your perspective--things may be different ("stupid tourists"?) Asked with a cringe. Well, I have to go practise my walking, so I'll look in later.

Happy Gardening.
Wingdesigner

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”