sleepingciv

Yucca in Northren Indiana?

Since we moved to where we are at there is this plant in front by the light pole that looks like maybe 3 plants all bunched together.
Anyway. It always has 3-4, 7-8 foot tall stalks coming from the center of the plants then it blooms white flowers. And the edges of the plants a sharp as needles, one time actually drew blood from hitting one mowing lol.

Looking online i see there desert plants and other dry areas.
Northren Indiana probable for them to grow?
Id snap a pic but its dark out right now.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Re: Yucca in Northren Indiana?

Yup, Y filamentosa.
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

applestar
Mod

They are really hardy and can handle negative single digit winter temps here.
Drought tolerant as you might expect. Flowers have sweet fragrance.

I had some planted in the back yard, but the trees around it grew and the area became totally shaded. After a couple of years of that and the pitifully limp elongated growth the clump continued to put out, I took pity and divided off three to plant in my new desert rock garden a few years back. They grew huge!

The remaining clump is actually still alive. This spring, a tree fell over in the township maintained woods out back, and the workers cut down that tree as well as a few others to create access for the crane truck. Now the yucca is getting some sun.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Adam's needle (yucca filimentosa) is the only yucca native to our area. It is a native plant and is cold hardy. The petals of the yucca flower and the fruit are edible. It's very commonly used as a landscape plant where I am.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

sleepingciv

Thank you for all the replies. Very helpfull :)

Here is a pic of them

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I had a bunch at my old house and I have planted a bunch here. In Oregon we get wet winters and spring but dry summers, they grow well here.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”