sugarworm
Newly Registered

Greenhouse from bottles?

I was browsing the web and saw this https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... 8/Repairs/ and after being flabbergasted by awesome I got to thinking if a green house could be made from this stuff if the bottles are placed on their sides and stacked that way instead of outwards and a roof is made from normal tempered glass or plexi. Would a design let enough light in to grow and warm? It'll be practically free because if you ask around bars and restaurants will hook you up with free bottles and if you bother to cap them than you've got pretty good insulation. You'll have to root through bottles for clear ones because brown are designed for U.V blocking; green ones might work because they do diddly to prevent skunking in homebrew in my experience so they might let enough sunlight in and are more common to boot. So anybody think this could work?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

clear bottles made into a wall by surrounding them with mortar/cement?
"wall element" light transmission in the zero point zero zero percentages?

can it be made to work? yes, made with a large enough diameter and the suggested clear glass/plex/plastic roof, you'll get enough light through the roof to grow in the middle, but there will be dark shadows around the edges.

I'd suggest giving up on the tempered glass roof idea or changing the shape to "not round"
tempered glass is either rectangular, as for doors/windows - or "custom" ordered/cut/treated - which is gonna blow the "nearly free" theory into the next century.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”