Bugga
Newly Registered

Very New to Planting....some questions?

I've been reading some on the topic of growing Veggies.I killed off a little plot on the South side of my property last fall by covering up with Tarps and such.This spring on advice of friends that garden I put a tiller and some composted Sheep manure to the plot.I tilled it 4 times over the spring to loosen the soil and added some sand to the area where I am trying to grow Carrots and parsnips.Last weekend I planted some Potatoes and a couple of day ago I planted Onions,Beets,Parsnips and 2 varieties of Carrots.I read the instructions on the back of the seed packets and planted them accordingly.I'm aware you don't want to over water things while you are waiting for things to sprout up,and I read in the vesseys seed guide their recommendations for watering and it seems everything I planted dosen't need to be watered everyday but the carrots(It said to not let the soil get crusty while waiting for sprouts)
I should tell you it's been fairly dry here for awhile in the days but I'm confident that living along the atlantic coast I am getting some moisture through the night in the form of Fog and Heavy Dew.
How often should I water?My soil looks quite dry.My "Friends" that are into gardening aren't offering too much advice(Everythings a contest with these guys)and I'm on my own here and looking for advice.
I'll have more questions as things progress.

fancy

When you see sprouts then you can water once a week in your climate. If it gets extremely hot like it has been here in Ohio then if the plants look droopy then water twice a week.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”