Susan W
Greener Thumb

Potting mix -fully loaded

I got a small bag of Vigaro organic potting mix for some 4" starts. I usually use MG, but being adventurous and if herbs out to sell some complain about MG. Well, I opened the bag to work some basil starts. There were flying fungus gnats! I kid you not! I'm using it anyway, especially as this is all outside now.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think it is not unusual for commercial potting soil to have fungus gnats. Sometimes it is just larvae or eggs so you don't notice. I think it is part of why those of us who start seeds indoors in potting soil have to be so careful about fungus gnats.

But yes if it is for outside, it will be fine. If you want to be sure, just dump the bag on a tarp somewhere in the sunshine and let it dry out for a couple days. All gone fungus gnats! :)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, I realize the eggs/larvae etc may be in the bag mix, any brand. I am not used to opening the bag and have things flying around. They did have tiny flags saying Let-Me-Free. I digress.

watermelonpunch

ha ha! That does sound unusual. I've been buying bagged potting soil off & on for years, and never had anything fly out! I would've been startled!

imafan26
Mod

Sometimes there are also fungi and other stuff in the bags especially if the bags have been left out in the rain. I try not to buy wet bags because they are also heavy.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”