Emera
Newly Registered

Plant ID & pest caterpillar questions

Two questions!

1. I received [url=https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/eluneth/plantehwantehs0013.jpg]this plant[/url] (another picture [url=https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e245/eluneth/plantehwantehs0012.jpg]here[/url]) two years ago from a friend with whom I'm no longer in contact, and completely forget what it is, if I was ever told. Whoops! Any ID on it? It produces round, fuschia-colored buds, but didn't bloom last year because of late snow (and hasn't yet this year), so no flower description, unfortunately.

2. Every autumn I've had a big problem with caterpillars in my thyme. They're thin, less than an inch long, and pale green in color. They eat the leaves (leaving the veins), and also bite off stem tops about half an inch from the tip in order to make little "tents," under which they spin silk to make a loose sort of shelter. If disturbed, they drop off of the plant. Does anyone know what they are, and what I can do about them? Typically I just kill as many as I can by hand, but clearly it's not very effective, as they still leave my thyme very skeletal and straggly every year.
After doing some more research, I suspect that they're diamondback moth larvae, but thyme is listed as being a DETERRENT for them, so I'm quite confused...

Thank you so much, in advance.

Jess
Greener Thumb

Your plant looks like a Paeony.

Are you sure they are not sawfly larvae on your Thyme? They stick their back ends up in the air if you disturb them. Whatever they are try Derris dust on them. You have to reapply if it rains.

Emera
Newly Registered

Thank you SO much for your help!

I'm pretty sure they're not sawfly larvae, as I just found a photo and they look very different. Regardless, I'll look up Derris dust once I have the opportunity.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”