lily51
Greener Thumb

One of the best things

I would like to encourage anyone thinking of building cold frames to do so.
Several years ago we built them along the east side of a building. They run about 16' or so, have tops made of double polycarb set in cedar frames which slide open and close. It is divided into 4 "bays", so there are 4 tops.

It's a great place to transfer perennials early in the growing season, tp protect plants from inclement weather be it cold (like last nite's freeze) or too much rain, help plants adjust to the outdoors, etc. It's amazing how warm it is inside of these when its' chilly outside.

I'm fortunate to have a greenhouse, but if I was starting plants just for me, these would be all I needed.
:D

applestar
Mod

Re: One of the best things

YES! Was going to build one for this spring... But didn't get to it. DEFINITELY this fall/winter's project. 8)

Is the east side location so it catches the first rays of the sun and warm up faster in the morning? Is it Ok that it would be in the shade and therefore cooler/colder at nightfall? *Ideally* should it face south?

...I'm still searching for the best site location among my limited choices...
---one of the limitations I realized I have is that if I situate the cold frame in a garden bed, then I can't use that bed for planting early spring crops... :? ...and this time of the ear, when I,m planting earlier warm weather crops, I realize that if used for cold fame, I won't be able to plant THEM.

Hmm... By that reasoning, I forgo early spring planting and use the cold frame bed for late warm weather crops like peppers, eggplants, and sweet potatoes.... 8)
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Re: One of the best things

I like the East side because, as you said, it catches the morning light, but not the searing afternoon sun.
Not as much chance of cooking all the plants. The last light leaves mine about 2 pm.
i think that some people have theirs facing south, but I really like mine the way they are.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”