tomf
Super Green Thumb

Weed torch?

I am thinking of trying a weed torch out, do any of you have one, and how well do they work? I am thinking of getting the big one that uses the larger propane tank and making a cart to pull the tank around on.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

LA47
Green Thumb

Re: Weed torch?

We have one that we mainly use for melting ice that builds up on concret walkways. We found that using it for weed control didn't work well as it only kills the top and not the roots so the weed comes back.
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That figures, thanks.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have a little weed torch story that is almost unrelated to its effectiveness as a weedkiller.

My garden for about 6 years was above the river at the very back of a series of properties of a few acres each. Exurbia . . . but, a very nice location for a garden :) .

Anyway, I never saw the neighbor lady. She evidently mowed her back 1/2 acre of grass/weeds when I wasn't around.

One day, towards sundown, I showed up with a propane torch I'd borrowed from Dad. Up and down the paths I went as the sun began to set off in the west. I soon realized that the neighbor lady was on her back deck, pacing back and forth, watching me :shock: . For about 30 minutes she walked her post with something of a frantic intensity!

After the experience, she regularly showed up on her lawn mower while I was in the garden. I had never seen her before that day but she kept a close eye on me from then on. Also, she did a better job mowing her weeds. I didn't bother to use the torch again.

Steve
We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond. ~ Gwendolyn Brooks

LA47
Green Thumb

Your weed killing attempt at least resulted in less weed seeds blowing into your garden. :)
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”