ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Fiddle head ferns

I am being lazy. I usually do research but decided that today I will just pick your brains.

Can fiddle head ferns be grown in the south in a pot or shaded garden? Where can they be aquired? I grow lots of different ferns and thought I would add fiddle heads to the list if it is possible in the deep south. My understanding is that they have a short shelf life once harvested but are lovely sauteed in butter or olive oil and actually have nutritional value. If I remember correctly they are high in A and C.

Any way what is your take on growing fiddle heads in south Louisiana? How to and where to get?

Thanks all!
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

Re: Fiddle head ferns

yes they are varieties for down south.

some care is required - not all ferns are equally edible

see
https://foragersharvest.com/fern-fiddleh ... of-spring/

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Dilbert

Ostrich fern is definitely on my bucket list for under my oak tree.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

LA47
Green Thumb

I was interested in them so looked them up. There were a few sites that said they were carcinogenic, not to eat many. Thought I'd give you a heads up in case you didn't know about this side effect.
High Altitude Gardener zone 4B or 5A

applestar
Mod

I have Ostrich fern -- the good/safe to eat kind -- all along the NE end of the house. Since we had a nice soaking rain yesterday, a lot of them should be coming up now. 8) (There were already some sprouted, but they stalled when we didn't have rain for about 10 days)

They are just a bit earlier than the asparagus which has just started to shoot up. I think closer to potato planting time.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Thanks all. I am kind of :oops: . I did a re-read of Stephen King's "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". The poor girl sustained herself on fiddle head ferns and other wild plants. Got my craziness going - want to try planting some fiddle heads. I looked on some cooking sites and the recipes sound wonderful. I love vegetables with a fresh, grassy taste. Probably why asparagus is a fave.

Any way that is what prompted my question.

Crazy what can get me on a side track. I read about something in a novel and want to try it.

Oh well. I am kind of a crazy, old, southern lady who gardens because that is what crazy, old, southern ladies do. Did you ever see "Steel Magnolias"? Clarisse. Only in jeans, tee shirt, muck shoes and a straw hat instead of the coveralls.

Thank you all for your patience with my sometimes crazziness. BTW I LIKE being a crazy, old, southern lady :!:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”