tomf
Super Green Thumb

Weed block around blue berries and trees?

I am looking into ways of preventing weeds and grass from growing around my blue berries and some trees. I am thinking of some kind of ring around them, they must be able to pass air and water through them. I will not use chemicals.
All ideas most appreciated, thanks.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: Weed block around blue berries and trees?

You don't want to just mulch?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I did mulch but still got weeds. So far I am thinking of making cardboard rings and putting mulch on top of them. I have not found any cheap products to do the job yet.
The things I do are an evolution and I am always learning. My way is not the only way of doing things, and I may and will change the way I do things as I learn better ways. So any advice that I give is in that spirit.

applestar
Mod

Cardboard and mulch works great for most situations. :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Tom

The cardboard + mulch sounds like a winner. Or even a thick layer of newspaper under the mulch. Have you tried pine straw? A nice thick layer that stops 2" or 3" from the base of the plant works better than any other mulch I have tried. When I had my landscaping business I tried them all. The straw packs down and the needles twine together makeing an excellent weed block while still allowing water to get through. It also decomposes very slowly. Much slower than wood mulches. I also find it very attractive - very natural looking. The next best for weed control is shredded cypress bark mulch. Do be careful not to pack the mulch up against the base of your plants.

Even without the cardboard or newspaper the pine straw is great at weed control.

Good luck
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Pine mulch sounds like a good idea, thanks Elizabeth. My neighbor has a few acres of pine trees not far from the berry garden, and I am sure he would let me take my tractor and rake it to get some of it.

SOB
Green Thumb

You could always dig up the sod and turn it over (the earthworms LOVE this) then apply mulch. Or just get rid of the sod all together. This has worked many times for me. Of course each year you need to add some more mulch to keep the top layer a good 3-4 inches thick. Adding newspaper or cardboard won't hurt anything but I don't think it's necessary if you do something with the sod.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”