maydaymay
Newly Registered

Drip compression elbow leaking

Hi All,
I purchased a home and have been improving an old drip system. I've come across a setup that runs under my front walkway with compression elbows on either side, feeding the plants along the concrete walkway. On one side, the tubing coming out of the compression elbow is leaking when the drip system runs.

I don't know how to stop the leak. I also don't know how to remove the tubing from the elbow to replace it. That is my preference as there is only about 9 feet of tube coming out of the compression elbow that feeds 4 plants. However, the elbow is in a tight spot having just run under my concrete walkway, so there's not a lot of room/play.

Any suggestions are welcomed.
Thanks!
Jeff

Wack

To be clear, your talking 1/2" drip tubing, with no emitter in that section, with a 45 degree slip compression fitting on one end that is leaking and you would like to repair. I've never had any luck with disassembling to salvage either the pipe end or compression fitting. You might be able to crack the compression fitting into pieces, but if it has been there for a while the tube will have some distortion and or wear, in turn it will not fit as fresh into the new compression coupler. With many types of compression fittings once you use it and it has to be taken apart, something has to be replaced.

I know you trying to preserve the pipe length, but personally I would try and cut it before the coupler, add a straight coupler, add length of pipe need (plus some if possible for next time) and then add your 45 coupler. You should only need about 1" or so of stub on the difficult side to get the straight compression coupler on and the other side should be open and easy. If you can burrow a hole big enough for you fist, you should be able to get the straight couple on no problem.

If you do chose to do so, make sure the pipe is clean and clear of grit, the coupler too. On occasion I've dropped or set a coupler or part down and if it gets dirt or grit, it could possibly not seat correct and leak.

Fair warning, I'm not expert, but I've I ran into basically the same thing on occasion.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Hi Jeff, If this is PVC you are talking about you're going to have to dig as much working room as you can or want, I've worked in some very tight places. Cut out the fitting if you can't move the pipe enough to remove it. and use glue fitting. Decide which side of the pipe to put the fitting on first so you can get the other side on, then go for it and glue in on.

If it is Abs,copper or gal let us know,

Richard

maydaymay
Newly Registered

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up using some needle nose pliers to pull the drip tubing from the compression fitting, trimming the tube by about 2 inches, cleaning both and inserting the tube into the compression fitting. When I turned on the drip system to check for leaks, all was good. Thanks again!

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

That's great, nice when thing work out without a major overhaul.

Richard

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”