The Natural
Cool Member

Storing Bulbs(Edited) for idiotic reasons

I have some elephant ear bulbs, dutch iris bulbs, and some blue flag versicolor combs i need too store. I know you keep seeds in the fridge but how do you store these??
Last edited by The Natural on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Apache and Ouachita blackberry twigs both came in!!!!

-Gardener By Hobby

-Maintenance Man

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The elephant ear, a tropical, I (here in Ohio) just dig up, put in a paper bag, and leave them in the basement for the winter. In louisiana you should be able to just leave them in the ground all the time, no reason to dig and store.

Iris is a more northern plant. I leave it in the ground. You might need to dig it up, put it in damp sand in a plastic bag and store it in the frig for a few months, to give it proper chilling.

Just as a little tutorial, iris are generally rhizomes, not corms. Rhizomes grow horizontally with roots coming off the bottom. Corms grow vertically, unbranched, with roots coming off all over. Elephant ears, though we call them bulbs, are actually a tuber, like a potato. A bulb is a kind of modified stem which has layers which will become the stem leaves and flowers of the plant. A tuber is solid; it is a food store with buds or eyes on the end which grow, to form a plant, that lives off the tubers food store for awhile.

Just a little technical stuff, which only us garden geeks pay attention to. :)
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure why you are storing them now as opposed to planting them, but the starchy elephant ear tubers can be like sweet potatoes and ferment, so I suspect you would need to keep them in cool but not hot location. Being a tropical, I believe you don't want to let them to get too cold either. They are like taro tubers if you have experience with them.

I suspect iris and blue flag can be kept in the veg drawer of the fridge.

The Natural
Cool Member

I just bought over stock its not that i bought with the intention of just storing or digging up too store just ended up with alot for cheap. As for the Comb* i screwed up when i looked at the name it had seeds*comb- but the rest was covered up they were talking about shipping, combining or some crap.I thought they were calling the seeds combs :lol: My B.

But thanks for the info on the bulbs. I have some dutch iris which are bulbs also which is why i was wondering. The dutch strain i have are bulb shaped like a piece of garlic with green stems coming from top and roots from bottom. The Blue flag iris were the seeds i just ordered and screwed up calling them combs.

I did end up learning what a corm was, that was a new one too me.
Last edited by The Natural on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

-Gardener By Hobby

-Maintenance Man

The Natural
Cool Member

Just a bad case of a novice not knowing what the h*** he's talking about. :o

-Gardener By Hobby

-Maintenance Man

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”