Bishop
Newly Registered

INVASION OF CHIVES.....

I made the mistake of setting up a garden bed over what I THOUGHT was a successfully rounded-up sprawl of chives. Apparently, the chives were not gone, and are now poking up all over the bed and into the new lawn we planted around the bed......

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bishop,

I have a problem with chives as well. I simply dig them up. It will probably take several years to get rid of them, in the meantime never let them go to seed. Be persistent.

As for the ones in the, lawn basically the same. I try to dig them early when the ground is soft and then just keep mowing all summer. If you try to pull them up more than likely they will just break off and come back next year.

Norm

Bishop
Newly Registered

Thanks for the tip; I appreciate it. Actually, I was out at that bed today and decided to see if digging would make any difference. I don't know who planted these things, but I was able to find what looked to be 2 different roots.....stuck in between large tree roots. I dug quite aggressively, so hope to have gotten most of the ones out of THAT side of the bed. Will head out tomorrow, shovel in hand, and see if I can start the process of getting rid of these pests.

Again, I appreciate your response!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”