rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY! yard work day!

So for the first time in months, I was actually out in the yard doing yard work. We've had some days that would have been warm enough, but they all came when I was either at work or out of town. Today we actually had a warm-ish sunny day on the weekend! Felt wonderful to be out in the sunshine working on the yard.

Mostly what I did was cutting down all the dead stems of sundrops, black-eyed susans, mums, etc and pruning the kerria, which was getting pretty out of control.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... EhbtA&NR=1

Tape measure in hand? 4x4 or 6x6

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I had a pretty busy morning in the garden too. I pulled all my broccoli plants since they were making smaller and smaller side shoots. I pulled all my tomato plants that have been in since September and got almost 3 gallons of green tomatoes to make my green tomato salsa. I had to remove several lettuce plants that were going to seed and did a general yard clean up. A lot of it wound up in the compost pile.

Yesterday I up-potted tomato, several varieties of sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, and a few herbs. My garden soil is still too wet to work and pull rows and the plants were outgrowing the little starter pots I had them in. I need about a week of dry weather and all can go into the ground.

Good thing is, I didn't break a bead of sweat all morning. Gotta enjoy this while I can.

imafan26
Mod

Today I planted some seeds.

I pulled a few small weeds out but it is still to wet after the rain to do any heavy weeding. Wet weeds are no fun.

I checked the pots that I seeded a three weeks ago are finally coming up. I guess it helps not to look at them every day.

I picked some chayote and after lunch, I think I'll see if the sun has dried things up enough to yank out a few more weeds. The rain makes it easier to yank them but a lot heavier to haul them.

Its nice to be able to play in the dirt again.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

So glad you were able to get a little bit of sunshine. Enjoy :!:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

You warm climate folks get to plant early. :?
Compared to Massachusetts where I lived growing up Oregon is mild. Except on the mountains.
I worked on the road's potholes, and did some storm clean up.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:You warm climate folks get to plant early. :?
Compared to Massachusetts where I lived growing up Oregon is mild. Except on the mountains.
I worked on the road's potholes, and did some storm clean up.
Yeah, I should actually have stuff already in the ground for the spring/summer garden already. If it wasn't for the rains we've been getting that just keeps the soil pretty wet, I'd have already pulled rows and had things in the ground instead of putting them in larger pots till I can.

We've once again had a very mild winter so I'm expecting the same conditions I encountered last year with pests of almost biblical proportions. Assassin bugs and stink bugs really took hold of my garden for a while and did their share of damage.

In the meantime, I'll get to the local market and gather my cardboard boxes for placing between the rows to help keep the weeds down. I can also head to the local horse stables for another load or two of stall waste to set up another compost pile.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”