Jardin du Fort

winter dandelions?

I know that dandelions are quite hardy, but today I found one blossoming. Here. In northern Indiana. The high today is 36. The low last night was 33. Is this just a freakin' stubborn plant, or is it a harbinger of things to come like the robins I saw last week?

:shock:

cedillamuerta

Well, dandelions were originally native to Europe and Asia so they're probably well adapted to harsh winters. Anything that can naturalize itself over almost the whole globe is bound to be pretty hardy as well. I've been collecting them myself recently so I can hopefully make a tea out of the petals.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Has anyone drank dandelion wine. year ago my dad made it! He always said when you drink too much of it you feel fine but cannot walk! I too picked several flowers a week ago in the cold ground in Pa. here. My rabbit really likes the yellow flowers!

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

I've made dandelion wine, and it's really good. and labor intensive.

Happy Days

Dandelion flowers and greens are very nutritious. The greens are best harvested and eaten (either raw or cooked) while still young since they get bitter as they age. Dandelion flowers freeze very well. They also dehydrate well.

applestar
Mod

I noticed a single dandelion flowering at my parent's house last week and pointed it out to my mom, who appreciated that it was blooming in the middle of the winter, but not to my dad who would -- may -- have ripped it out for growing in HIS front lawn. :wink:

In this case, it was close to the sidewalk, which may have provided some sequestered heat, and also, I'm pretty sure the water or sewer line from their house to the street is buried underneath where it was growing.

Was there any environmental factors for a micro-climate contributing to your dandelion blooming?

Jardin du Fort

applestar wrote:Was there any environmental factors for a micro-climate contributing to your dandelion blooming?
OOOooooohhhh. The microclimate! I hadn't thought about that. Well, it's location is in the back yard, about two feet from the sidewalk that goes from the house to the garage. Probably not close enough to affect. It IS in the reflective range of the garage, and the snow around it is melted off before the snow further south (closer to the fence) so there is a little added heat from that. It IS in a traffic area that the dog walks on a regular (daily) basis, although it is NOT in his duty range, so there wouldn't be any added nutrients. So..... full sun plus reflected heat, probably enough to encourage a stubbornly hardy plant.

8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jardin du Fort, we are having much the same weather as you describe. The temperature rises just above freezing each day and drops below freezing each night. There has been a dull sameness to the winter days. Any warmth is usually accompanied by too much wind and a smattering of rain but it was colder a month ago and some of the snow that fell around Christmas and since is still in my yard.

A few dandelions were blooming or attempting to bloom just before the cold weather of November really shut them down. I noticed a bud in my backyard the other day - right near the backsteps. I don't think it will need much more encouragement to go ahead and open up into an actual dandelion flower.

I was walking near my home yesterday and passed a home that I've often looked at as I've driven by. Ten years ago and more, there were snowdrops covering the lawn on the west side of this brick home as an earliest sign of approaching spring. Then, the homeowner planted a grapevine along the west side of his corner lot. Essentially, I haven't been able to see into the yard from that side for 10 years.

Sometime last year, the owner took the grapevine out. Of course, the snowdrops are back! There aren't nearly as many and they haven't quite bloomed but you can easily recognize the small white buds rising above the still dormant grass in what is left of the lawn. I am not sure if he or she wanted the snowdrops to bloom again but the soil in completely bare within several feet of where the vines have been growing the last 10 years. Now again, the snowdrops have again found their way.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”