Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Substituting things that work in the garden or greenhouse!

Use your imagazation and you will be suprised what works for what you need that you never thought of. Some of my discoveries are! I go to this outlet fro a clean out houses business. I ound 3 strainers that were actually mcdonalds french fries deep fry holders. they are about a foot square with a heavy hadle made of stainless steel. Not only dothey work nice as a strainer but also to cover flats to keep animals off ! Try the 4 foot white or black plastic post with metal spear on end at tractor supply for tomastoes. i buy them all the time and have about a dozen for this year . The even have a place to push them in the ground with your foot!
+++
How about seed markers. Try dixie cup wood spoons that you can get at craft store put them in a small plastic bag if there is alot of water!. They are about 3 inches long and work great! Pellets make nice compost just put like 4 together. heavy pellets can be used to make raised beds by taking the wood apart! Look for old screens and storm windows to cover. gallon milk containers make good seed staring containers if you cut them right and still have a handle and they are like a small greenhouse. I will think of more! what have you come up with?
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Happy Days

Great ideas! I enjoy repurposing as well.

Old enamel wash basins with rusted out spots in the bottom are one of my faves for growing swiss chard, mesclun, spinach, winter greens. The old chair without a seat makes it a "raised" garden.

Old broken plastic watering can

I use kiddie pools for large raised garden beds

Last edited by Happy Days on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

If you have a old cloths dryer take out the tumbler. Its made of a heavy coated metal with drain holes all around. It makes a very nice planter! old ref. bins make excellent seed staring boxes! The plastic covers on ref bins are good to cover newly planted seeds! A old chest freezer makes a long lasting worm bin or a place to mix soils.
+++
A friend of mine used his chest freezer to keep minnows just add a air bubbler! He sets the temp with a ref thermastat at 50 and the minnows keep a long time as do worms!! There are dumps everywhere where you can get free brick of block and make some nice looking long lasting raised beds! It seems like the new generations of Americans have no interest in salvaging anything so keep your eyes open! I could not believe when I did hauling what people threw away!
I enjoy fishing ,gardening and a solar greenhouse! carpet installation repair and sales for over 45 years! I am the inventor of the Bobber With A Brain - Fishing Bobber!

Happy Days

My shade bed border or edging made partly of discarded wine bottles.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”