suz1055
Newly Registered

HELP! Blackbird destroying my garden.

I have had my city garden for many years. It grows healthy and lush in containers and small areas. This year I planted my Impatiens, Marigolds and Zinnias as usual and noticed that they were disappearing. I caught a blackbird pulling one out by it's roots. He did this with small plants that I grew from seeds...AND plants I got at Lowes.

What can I do to get repel him? What flowers will he not eat?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi Suz :D

I love the blackbirds in my garden as they eat all the nasty grubs but in your case they are pulling out plants to get at them. I don't think they actually eat the plants although sometimes they will pick off seeds and fruit. They are just looking for anything tasty in the soil underneath.
There are two things you could try. Either top the pots with gravel or slate and/or get a cat shaped scarer. You don't say where you are from but I think these are quite easy to get hold of. It is a black metal cat shaped ornament with metal posts that you push into the ground. I have seen them used in gardens but I don't have first hand knowledge as to how well they work. There are also mulch mats which you put around the base of plants to conserve moisture. They might work.
I hope something there helps.

Geek

I have heard of people putting a rubber snake or two in the garden too.

What I do is take some aluminium foil and fold it into about 2 inch squares and hang them, with string, from something (tomato cages in my case) near the plants. They will spin in the breeze and reflect light and make movement that keeps most birds at bay.

pixelphoto

pay a local kid in the neighborhood with a bb gun to take care of the problem for ya. BB guns are nice and quiet and will take care of your crow problem.
We had the same problem with squirrels and chipmunks. They would dig up my plants not eat them just dig em up and leave out int he sun to die.

suz1055
Newly Registered

Geek wrote:I have heard of people putting a rubber snake or two in the garden too.

What I do is take some aluminium foil and fold it into about 2 inch squares and hang them, with string, from something (tomato cages in my case) near the plants. They will spin in the breeze and reflect light and make movement that keeps most birds at bay.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely try that.

suz1055
Newly Registered

pixelphoto wrote:pay a local kid in the neighborhood with a bb gun to take care of the problem for ya. BB guns are nice and quiet and will take care of your crow problem.
We had the same problem with squirrels and chipmunks. They would dig up my plants not eat them just dig em up and leave out int he sun to die.
I would not be apposed to that but I live in the city....right next to a college. I can only imagine the reaction if someone started shooting bb's...LOL! But, in the country I would try this. Thank you!

pixelphoto

Yeah probably not a good idea that close to a school.
Have you tried free aol cds. That would be safe.
tie free aol cds with fishing line to trees the weird reflective qualities of the cds much like the aluminum foil the other poster mentioned. And its a way to recycle.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”