Susan W
Greener Thumb

Grey Water

This topic was mixed in with another thread, and perhaps needs its own place. As it happens, checking my twitter, saw this and had to share. I am a fan of Marketplace (NPR) and missed the audio of this discussion. Hope this comes through in my lame copy/paste.
Just sharing as a starting or mid-point. We all have different water needs, different climates, varying regulations, but need to talk and share.
Susan

Marketplace ‏@MarketplaceAPM

You know that #water from your shower? Some people use it to water their gardens. @randomtape explains how: https://mktplc.org/USzy8d

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice, thanks for sharing....

By summer, I hope to have done more looking in to the idea of a diverter for my kitchen sink drain. Doesn't seem like it should be too hard.

Jardin du Fort

something like this:

https://www.cleanwatercomponents.com/edu ... ched-drain

I kinda like this idea. Unfortunately most of my plumbing drains are cast iron. :(

Jardin du Fort

On a side note......

My great uncle lived outside of Watkins Glen, NY. They had a grand old house high on a hill side, and were far enough out of town that they didn't have city water. What they DID have, was a cistern that collected rain water from the roof. This was used for laundry, toilets, and I think bathroom water, but not for cooking or drinking.

Of course these days everyone uses rain barrels, but a full fledged underground tank (aka cistern) could be quite useful for gardeners that have both wet and dry seasons.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh thank you! I knew that switchable diverter valve had to already exist, just hadn't gone looking for it yet. That is exactly what I had in mind.

My fantasy was to have the water exit to a hose that would attach to a soaker hose kind of thing, a hose with holes along the length. Then I could just move the hose as needed. Then I wouldn't need the splitters and stuff and could put water right where I want it. I have plenty of grade to move the water along.

I think the main thing with the kitchen sink drain would be to have fine mesh drain cover and be sure no particles go down that would clog the hoses.

I would love to have a cistern. One of the many old timey things that I don't know why we quit doing. But a cistern and pump seems like big bucks to install. I'm thinking the diverter valve wouldn't have to be.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings, At our upper ranch the water from the right side of the two basin sink is taken to the yard as gray water.
At the lower ranch all water form sinks bathtubs and washingmachine are devoted to graywater. It can be simply done, but must have a vacuum breaker to stop the draining of P-traps. The amount of water, a family of 4 can gain, is surprising.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”