Susan W
Greener Thumb

oranges

The kids from Houston brought a mess of oranges from their yard. They are yummy, juicy and sweet. I don't think we'll eat them fast enough before they start to go south. Should I put some back in my market 'herb' fridge set warm, about 45?
I am out of my comfort zone on oranges, especially looking at the 3" snow in the ground!
Have fun!
Susan

applestar
Mod

One option is to cut in half like grapefruits, tightly wrap, and freeze them. Scoop out and eat when semi-defrosted like sherbert. :wink:

With easy peel clementines and mandarin oranges, you can freeze them whole and unpeeled. Some people say its better to freeze, then dip in water and freeze again. This creates a thin coating of ice that protects against freezer burn. To eat, people divide in to camps -- either defrost just enough until the skins slip off easiy, then eat while still icy, or completely defrost until soft, peel and enjoy the juicy pulp.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Susan - do you have time to make marmalade or orange pepper jelly? Yummy :!: and will keep forever.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for suggestions. Perhaps I could juice a few and freeze the juice? I could make a couple of small batches using re-purposed water bottles. Hmmmm
Have fun!
Susan

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Yes -juicing and freezing works you just can't keep it very long. After a couple of weeks I find the juice breaks down and does not taste as good. Just me. Others may have had better experience.
Elizabeth - or Your Majesty

Living and growing in Lafayette, La.

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”