ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Master Gardeners

Are any of you Master Gardeners? I have been involved for 10 years and love it :!:

The course was a mini degree in horticulture. The members are all like minded garden fanatics. The volunteer work supports our local extension office. Our extension office is very responsive and provides a great service to the community because of the support of the Master Gardeners.

Lafayette, La is blessed with a very active Master Gardener association. One of the largest and most active in the country. If you don't have an active program maybe you could give it a boost. My 2 sisters are also very active.

It such a wonderful way to learn, share, laugh and give back to the community.

I have found such wonderful friends through Master Gardeners. Also a great resource for trade/share plants and wisdom.

Just curious about participation in other parts of the county.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I provided a link to a page with contacts to the MG service in each of the 58 counties in California on page 2 of this thread.

Although the training is more intense than my schedule currently permits, one is also required to deal with chemicals due to their use in IPM (Integrated Pest Management). I'm unable to deal with the synthetic chemicals--VOCs are potent migraine triggers--so am not motivated to shift my schedule around to become a California Master Gardener. The health risk simply isn't worth it.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

webmaster
Site Admin

Scott Reil, The Helpful Gardener, used to be involved with the Master Gardener program. He used to teach an advanced Master Gardener class in Connecticut.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Really about chemicals? Our demonstration gardens and propagation green houses are chemical free. It takes a powerful personality to change bad practices. You have that personality and could turn things around.

applestar
Mod

I was asked to speak at the Master Gardener's meetings and plans were in the works until the state cut back on the Master Gardener program and the whole organization and all of their activities were restructured. :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup... I believe our Master Gardener program is about to disappear. One of those luxuries we can't seem to afford any more. .... The rest of this post censored because it will get political. :)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Wow :!: Our MG program is not at all dependant on any kind of public funding. We are a non-profit organization. Our mission statement is to support the county extensionn office and provide information and training to the general public. If your MG association is failing then you wonderful pasionate gardeners need to step in and make it viable.

I apologize. :oops: I don't mean to sound so strident. I just think that MG is a woderful resource and local associations need the boost from fervent gardeners like you. It only takes one person with determination and drive to save a failing organization.

You would all love the wonderful MG folks in my area.

We have demonstration gardens, propagation green houses, folks that speak on butterfly and humming bird gardening, community gardens and so much more. We have 2 plant sales each year. The spring sale is a major garden show. We also have experimental programs for plant varieties new to the area. Members get free plants in exchange for growth and care documentation. We work closely with LSU - our land grant university.

I am blessed with a truely wonderful organization and only wish that the rest of you had such wonderful resources available to you.

lily51
Greener Thumb

I am a Master Gardener and the program is needed more than ever in our county due to the cuts made in all sorts of funding at the state and federal level. It is a volunteer program to work on projects in the area. Some of the projects in the community you can help with get grants, but the money is not for MG, nor is it used to pay MG in any way.
I've met many great people, learned a lot and found a fun way to contribute to my county.
[/I]

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Great for you Lily! Master Gardeners are all volunteers. None of us get paid for our time. Most of our funding comes from donations and plant sale revenues. Strictly voluntary labor. Keep active and push your association to be bigger and better. I do love my MG friends. I work in the propagation greenhouse every Wednesday morning and work 4 hours a week on the phones at the extention office. What is your favorite volunteer work?

lily51
Greener Thumb

I do some speaking at local clubs, help plant and weed in various gardens, help at information booths, and really love to help out with tours, in the gardens, and q/a at a beautiful estate/gardens called Kingwood Center. :flower:
I've wanted to be a MG for years, and several years ago when I retired, a class was offered and I was able to take it.

I have a friend who is in a Naturalist program in northern Ohio. Wish we had that, as I think I would enjoy that at least as much as MG>

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Lily - so glad you have an active membership. It makes me sad to hear about regions with failing MG programs.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and the Extension Agent thanks you, for now (s)he can get their work done.

Eric

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Right DD part of our mission statement is support or the extension office.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Elizabeth... Our county's numbers had gotten really low and the members were aged to the point many could only do limited things. So they took the chance, offered the course, and got an overwhelming response, so much so that they' ve offered it a second time since then.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

:clap: Yeah :!: Keep it up - your membership will grow.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”