djlen
Green Thumb

Seems like it's working for us........so far. We've only been doing it for about 3 weeks and I'm seeing a reduction in the gnats already.
We've really never stayed the course previously. We're going to this year and find out one way or the other whether this works.
I'm also going to get some of that yellow sticky stuff for use on the adult gnats. The tea/cinnamon combination is for the larvae.

applestar
Mod

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, set out wide-mouth containers -- bowl, tray, etc. -- of mild/unscented soapy water. The adult gnats LOVE to drown themselves. Simply replace the solution every few days. :twisted:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

djlen wrote: I'm also going to get some of that yellow sticky stuff for use on the adult gnats. The tea/cinnamon combination is for the larvae.
That is right. I do all bottom watering for my seedlings, so the chamomile/ cinnamon infused water comes up through the soil that the larvae are in. What it does is help kill/ prevent the fungus in the soil that the larvae feed on. In that process, it also helps prevent the damping off fungus that can kill small seedlings much quicker than the fungus gnats.

The adult fungus gnats are a nuisance and cosmetically annoying, but they do not feed, so they do no damage. The larvae in the soil do (also) eat plant root hairs or the small roots of seedlings, so they can do damage.

Before I started using the the chamomile / cinnamon I had a pretty major infestation of fungus gnats AND I lost a significant number of seedlings to damping off. The last few years, since I've been consistently using it, both those problems went away. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Don't forget, the adults also bite. Not everybody, but for people who like myself are pretty tasty apparently. :roll: They find me irresistible.....especially my head (I shave it) on top.
I have the same issue with mosquitoes. They bite my wife but they feast on me. We had an unusually warm Winter last year and they were brutal all Summer. I could not go out without Skin So Soft all over.
The Fungus Gnats swarm me too. Very annoying.
I hope we've found the solution.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”