AntiBling
Newly Registered

Planning a New Garden From Scratch

New gardener here, well I had one when I was really young but I don't recall anything about it.

Well today I was runnin' the disc over some ground where some straw bales burned, and then ran it into the old cattle lot that had burned off some too, when a friend came to talk to me, said I should grow a garden there.

Got me thinking, I should, it's perfect ground for it, hasn't had cattle in it for like 5 years now, burned off, where I want the garden at is at the base of a hill so it will get plenty of water when it rains, will get plenty of sun during the day, and there is a shelter belt to the west so it will get shade at the hottest point in the day.

So here is what I'm thinking, I'm thinking large scale on this, because I can have the local cafe sell the produce for me, so I want to plant a lot, and a large variety.

Here's the list:

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Carrots
Peas
Green Beans
Rasberries
Blueberries
Strawberries
Watermelon
Cantaloupe?
Onions
Peppers

Anything else you suggest? Cantaloupe, I don't know if I can grow that around here. Sweet corn, I may grow some of that, but that would just be for me, a lot of farmers around here plant large quantities of sweet corn and give it away, so I couldn't sell that.

Now I want to get started planting this week, I ran the disc over it to break it up, gonna run a digger through it tomorrow.

Now I got plenty of places in the lot that will get more shade than others, what should I be planting there and what should I be planting in more sunlight?

Here are some photos of the plot:

https://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092784907

Jess
Greener Thumb

Wow! :shock: antibling. Nice big piece of ground.

Firstly the blueberries. They need to grow in acid soil. Do you know how acidic your ground is. You can always grow them in pots instead.

What about rhubarb? Black and red currants, Gooseberries. All of these are permanent so take less work. Garlic, Brassicas and maybe an Asparagus bed. Takes a while to get a crop but you have plenty of land so can plant and wait. Freshly grown Asparagus is out of this world. Tastes nothing like the insipid supermarket stuff.
For quick intercropping there are always raddishes and lettuce. Can be grown picked and replanted through the season and what about some Beetroot? The leaves are edible when young so you get two crops from one plant. Plant some herbs in amongst it all. Always good for attracting pollinators I will stop there as I could go on forever and then you would have to dig a larger area up! :D

Hortoholic

Pick your own is very popular with all berries & cut flowers these days.

Blueberries are king at the moment because they are pushed as health food.

Local organic greens are prized and command a premium... :wink:

Garlic & onions are a snap to grow and again of they are organic, they are premium...

emiwri

Have you considered Cucumbers? Organic Cucumbers are hard to find among grocers and many people hate the waxy cucmbers grown conventionally. When I grow cucumbers, my friends and family have such a demand for them it's hard to save any for myself!

I love your plot of land! I look forward to seeing photos of your progress with it!

fancy

Your garden plot is great. You can plant different types of tomato plants so they will produce at different times of summer. Don't forget the yellow ones they are wonderful.
Also green beans are great fresh and there are a lot of varities of them also.
Watermelons take up a lot of ground as well as potatoes but they are a good crop.
Pumpkins are popular around here and so expensive in the stores. I like the pie type even for jack o lanterns.
I hope you have a lot of luck with your venture.
Darlene

Geek

Be sure to look at days to maturity because I assume you have a shorter season being in the Dakotas (how long do you get from frost to frost on average?). I am sure you would hate to plant a lot of something only for it to die when the first frost hits if it is a frost tender plant. You may also want to read about your soil type and how to get it ready for planting.

Good luck, it is a fun and rewarding thing to grow your own food.

philthegardener
Newly Registered

Hi AntiBling,
I was reading about your post and just wondering how your project is coming?

Here is a link to a publication that has some helpful information even this far along in the season.
[url]https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/hortcrop/h1185.pdf[/url]

Best Wishes,
Phil

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Another thing (or two) to consider for your short growing season. If you're growing crops that require warm soil, try mounding the rows (wide row gardening), that soil will warm up faster. Also, a permeable ground or row cover will help shelter some crops from early/late frosts. Check Tractor Supply Co., or another agri-supply catalog for types and sizes. They'll sell in bulk. Lastly, rotate your crops, so the same stuff isn't growing in the same area year for year. It's a little more brain work, but will pay off in lessening soil-borne diseases.

Happy Gardening
Wingdesigner

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oops, one more thought relative to crop rotation: are you aware that tomatoes and potatoes are related and share the same suceptibility to certain pests and diseases? Peppers, too. So those should be rotated, and not in succession, alternate w/something unrelated. Told you there was some brain work involved! OK, I'm going now. Really.

Happy Gardening,
Wingdesigner

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”