edelweiss

Save GRASS CLIPPINGS OR THROW GRASS CLIPPINGS ?

:D I know it is getting close to dinner time . Have one more thought for you! When you cut grass , do you leave the clippings or you rake the grass up? Throw out all your ideas and share them with us. :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

They get raked up and put in the compost. :D

edelweiss

Hurray, somebody from Canada! :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Funny, I never let my grass get that high and use a mulching mower, so the answer is they get chopped up and deposited back into the lawn.

However, I do head out to the local cemetery several times a year when the grass cutters are there and take 8-10 large bags about 50 lbs. each of the grass clippings to spread in the garden between rows and to add to the compost pile. I just did this recently and am still picking out chopped up silk flowers. Hurricane Isaac's winds tossed most of the faux flowers all over the cemetery and they were run over by the mowers. Those guys like me since they don't have to haul away as many bags on days I visit.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

we mulch ours most of the time so it goes back to the grass but when we get behind and it gets tall it goes into the much tumbler and my much pile then gets fall tilled into the garden.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Mostly I just mulch the grass. I have a tow behind rake for a ridding mower but there is way to much lawn to pick it all up. In the fall I pick up some of the leaves that have fallen with the towable rake and some times I pick up some of the grass. Before I used a ridding mower to mow and when the lawn grew to fast in the spring it some times got out of control so I had to rake some times to keep it from killing the lawns. I would toss it on places as mulch and compost some of it as well. This year I got a 6' finish mower for my tractor and use the ridding mower as an edge mower. What took a day or more now takes an hour or two.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If by "throw" you mean away, never do that. Grass clippings are green gold, full of nitrogen. Mine are either chopped back on the lawn or used to mulch the veggie beds.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”