FairyDust
Cool Member

memorial plant ideas

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a long time, but now that its spring again I'm sure I'll be reading and posting again.

My dog passed away yesterday and she has been the most special thing I've ever been blessed to know let alone be a companion of. She was just the most amazing little furbaby and I want to plant a memorial garden for her. I've ordered Sable and Sable Night irises because that was her name. I'm going to be planting them in the full sun, bordering on partial shade for the Sable Night irises in my front yard along a white picket fence. I don't know what other plants I could plant to remember her by, maybe a white rose bush? do any of you know what are some good plants for memorial gardens? I live in Zone 6b (southern jersey). My little Sable always loved the frontyard best and would go around with me and look at our flowers and sniff them, just two days ago she was going around with me looking at all the plants starting to grow and poke out of the ground.

SwampWitch
Newly Registered

I don't have any ideas but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

Yesterday was the 3rd year anniversary of the death of my sweet kitty Wilda, who was with me for 15 years. I'll always miss her. Your memorial garden is a beautiful idea to honor Sable. With best wishes.

FairyDust
Cool Member

I'm so sorry about Wilda :(

I was lucky enough to be Sable's companion for 10 years (she was almost 13) before she passed on. She dealt with a lot of medical problems, always with a happy attitude and a smile. She was always with me, I couldn't even go on a 3 day trip without her and not crying because I missed her. my husband says it was probably because she needed me and I needed her. she got me through a lot of bad times and even my veterinarian friend has said without me she probably would not have lived nearly as long. but it sure hasn't made it any easier.

but since she loved to be out in the sun from spring to fall and loved to meander around the yard with me sniffing the flowers and looking at all the beauty in the plants, I figure planting a little garden just for her is the best thing I can do.

sorry to ramble on, she's the only thing that has been on my mind.

I'm thinking about planting a white rose bush also. white roses are meant for this right?

Grey
Greener Thumb

White roses would indeed be happy in that site, and I think combined with the irises, you'll have plenty of bloom time and they should go together quite companionably. You can even add Russian Sage to help hide the stems of the roses, plus the sage smells so nice even when the roses are not in bloom.

I don't think you have to follow any rules with a memorial garden. Whatever works for you, and what Sable loved is all that matters.

(BTW, I think I'd be bawling my eyes out for months if my dog died, she goes everywhere with me!)

Maybe there is a plant that blooms white in winter too? The only thing I can think of is helleborus, but they like shade.

FairyDust
Cool Member

how weird, I just bought 2 russian sage today at the nursery even though I really had not thought of where to plant them. I think it'd be beautiful with the rose like you mentioned.

yeah I've been crying a lot, my nose is raw all over and the skin around my eyes is red and raw too. she was always with me too. I got her when I was 16 from a friend of a friend, they were keeping her locked in a tiny bathroom 10-12hrs a day and feeding her cat food. the cats would beat on her and she had scratches all over her chest and was missing a lot of hair from stress. she was just a tiny little 3lb chihuahua. when I got her I was only babysitting at the time and was saving up money for something in a piggy bank, I literally paid for her with pennies nickels and dimes rolled up. she has gone through so much with me, always been there and always been my baby. she had one medical problem after another and several times she should've passed on, but she had such a strong will to live and we loved her so much. it has been the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. I've had dogs pass before, but her and I had such a special bond, I couldn't even go on a 3 day vacation without crying because I missed her, I never left her at home again after that. so knowing she's gone forever is really hard. I really can't even believe my baby is gone. I know she is, but its just really hard to comprehend it I guess. her and I were always joined at the hip. we have 5 other dogs (used to do a lot of rescue and foster care) but I feel so empty and almost lost now that she's not here.

going to the nursery today though really helped, I needed to get out of the house. I'm going to start working on getting the ground ready and stuff tomorrow, I plan on spending most of the time this week outside now, its just too depressing being in the house.

helleborous would be so awesome, but yeah this is a full sun area bordering on partial shade so I think it would fry there unfortunately. I'm going to plant some bulbs this fall like crocuses and tulips and daffodils for the springtime.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

FairyDust,

Are you aware that traditionally different plants have meanings. For instance Rosemary signifies remembrance and fidelity while Poppy symbolizes death. Forget-me-not means just what the name implies.

Norm

garden girl
Cool Member

Hello, how wonderful to be making a memorial garden. I don't have any plant suggestions, as I think those should be a personal preference and it sounds like your doing a great job. Anyway, my suggestion is to find a lovely, comfortable bench or chair to put right among the flowers you choose so that you can relax there and enjoy remembering wonderful times with your little dog :)

FairyDust
Cool Member

gnome, I just got a book today that lists a lot of the different meanings for plants. I had no idea except for white roses meaning purity and the forget-me-nots. I have decided to also plant lambs ears since they mean gentleness.

garden girl thank you for the bench or chair suggestion, I really like that idea.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”