pezrgood
Newly Registered

Hi.

The leaves are falling off my Schefflera, Umbrella Tree as well. The leaves aren't turning yellow or brown. They look completely green and healthy until they are laying on the floor looking sad. My plant isn't very large (2 1/2' tall) and this loss of leaves is happening all over the plant.

I water from the top when the top 1 or 2 inches is dry. Although my pot doesn't have a saucer, it has a fews holes drilled into the bottom lip of the plastic pot. There are some rocks in the bottom for drainage as I recall, but the plant hasn't been repotted for 4 years. It was repotted in a pot much larger than it's last pot though (probably too large).

I have been using a house plant fertilizer with each watering recently. This problem occurred before I started using the fertilizer and continues after.

It is indirect but fairly bright light.

Also I mist the leaves daily because my place is fairly dry.

I really hope you can help me. I really love this plant and it is losing leaves fast. Thanks!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

pezrgood,

Hello and welcome to The Helpful Gardener. From your description I see two things that I am concerned about.
it has a fews holes drilled into the bottom lip of the plastic pot.
This is a little vague and I'm not at all sure that you have provided adequate drainage.
I have been using a house plant fertilizer with each watering recently. This problem occurred before I started using the fertilizer and continues after.
Even though you say that this problem pre-existed your fertilizing regimen I feel that fertilizing at every watering is excessive. You could cut this back to every two weeks during the growing season. There is a possibility that this schedule has caused an accumulation of salts in your soil that draws water from the plant. This is commonly referred to as burning the roots.

Try flushing the soil with copious amounts of clear water then don't fertilize again until you see some signs of growth.

Here is a thread in the bonsai forum about this plant that you may find helpful, there are others as well that can be found by using the search feature.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3819

Norm

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”