OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Is Algae Bad or Good?

apparently there is people swiming and some guy eating algae but is this bad or good? or it doesnt do anything? https://news.yahoo.com/photos/china-s-slimy-beach-slideshow/slime-beach-photo-1342203256.html

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Ok first off that is like my worst nightmare. I have a phobia of seaweed and things in water around my legs.

That being said, it depends on the algae that you eat. I know "blue-green algae" is considered to be a super-food and very good for your health. It's sometimes fed to animals too like horses.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Hahhahah I KNow what you mean when something touches my leg without knowing what it is, but if you see the pictures in the link some guy is munching on it, others swim in it, and others are taking it out and placing it on a bag

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think around here they close ponds and lakes to swimmers when blue-green algae appears. There was an article in the paper just today about a pond being closed for that reason. Perhaps there is more than one type of algae referred to as blue-green? Or maybe it needs to be cleansed in some way before its safe to ingest?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

watch out for flesh eating bacteria

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”