Kahurin
Newly Registered

About to start a garden

Hello, I'm new to this forum. And would like some advice.

What are some good books, websites, or magazines I could read?

I'm new to gardening to whats a good starter garden? I'm interested in veggies and herbs mostly.

Spring is in the air in Alaska so its time to start its 60 degrees out today how warm should it be? We still have snow out but its melting.

On that note, I live in alaska so planting certain things is a matter of the area I live in and the time it has to grow.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

I have a buddy in Alaska, so I know your growing season is shooooort!

I'd spend a day or so hanging around Barnes & Noble or some other bookstore, leafing through books. I do this a lot on a chilly day when it's just too cold and damp for me to be out in my yard. Often you can find a gardening book that is specific to your area, like a "Gardening in Alaska" kind of thing.

I'd start with a few veggies, might try some in pots this year so if you have an unexpected frost, you can yank those pots inside. I also know your light conditions are different - I'm sure it can be done, you just might have more legwork in Alaska... or maybe less... depends on what you choose and what the books say.

I'd also see if there is a Garden Club in your area - they often have a lot of advice and you meet lots of seasoned and new gardeners right off to help you get started, and to ask when some odd spots show up on your leaves and you aren't sure what it is or what to do about it.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”