tomf
Super Green Thumb

I got very big stone!

I went on line and found what I wanted then I talked to a woman at the rock quarry. She told me what size the rock was and a price. I called back later and she seamed confused a bit on rock sizes I told her what I needed once more. I told her I wanted rocks to make walls and she said rocks one foot to two foot would work well, I told her I wanted the smallest she could give me in that size as they may be a bit big. Then a guy from the quarry called and told me that it would better to get six inch to one foot rocks. I said this would work much better. What I got was not what I expected! After he dumped them I said wow they are rather large! The driver said I thought you wanted two foot so I got some big ones in the load. Not only that but the cost was much more than the first quote.
I will have fun putting the large boulders and I think they will look very nice but I learned if the is a next time I will go to the quarry and pick out what I want.

Some photos of the rocks.

A 12 ton load of rock.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/landscaping%202012/DSCN0807.jpg[/img]

This shows the size of the rocks, some are big boulders as you can see by the shovel.

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e57/twistedtomf/landscaping%202012/DSCN0806.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am a mason trust me these people need help a lot. Always go down and check out what YOU want.

Is that tractor gonna move them. If not I hope you have a big skid steer around for use. Good luck. Like I said I'm a briklayer-stonemason should I bring my tools down?

Please don't say yes. Have you been outside lately? It's HOT!!!! :lol: 8)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Gixxerific it has been cool and rainning here, yesterday day was the warmest in weeks, in the 70's. They say it will be up to 80 or more this weekend, I will work in the morning then relax when it gets hot. Last year the nation burned it was so hot but up here we got rain all summer and it was cool. Funny how the weather one place effects it in another place.
Some may be a bit big for my tractor and I may have to push them to where I want. Maybe I will rent a Bobcat.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

You may need my help now. Bring your backhoe over and "we" will weld on a thumb. My brother has a John Deere 4310 with a 47 backhoe. I welded a thumb on exactly for this purpose, retaining walls.
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kioti-owning-operating/144124-backhoe-thumb.html

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Eric I wish I had a backhoe.

I do not understand how when the guy said 6" to 12" rock and I said "that would be perfect" turns into big boulders. I do not understand how $25 a ton turned into $35 a tone ether. I think there are a lot of people out there who are hard of listening I know I told them exactly what I was doing with the rock. Gixxerific you said it and now I have learned.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

This forum has the right title for your post, Tom: "What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere."

Wow! I hope you find a place to make them fit!

They are good looking stones but you might have just waited for another of those Lake Missoula ice-age floods to wash some of the stones around here - down to where you need them.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”