Sprout24
Newly Registered

fertilize seedling

I'm growing a bunch of flowers from seed and was wondering when I should start fertilizing them. What should I use, any products you guys prefer?

Hortoholic

It depends on if your organic or not? What ever you use you will be looking for low numbers Ex: 4 - 2 - 4.

I use Seaplus 3-2-2 (N-P-K), Neptune is a good brand as well.

I use it exclusively on seedlings. I wait for one or two "true leaves" before I begin to consistently fertilize once a week. Buy that time the seedlings have used up all the food that was stored in it's self contained packaged.

Fish & seaweed is loaded with vitamins, minerals and many kinds of funky stuff like [url=https://www.plant-hormones.info/gibberellins.htm]Gibberellins[/url] which is a special hormone key to unlock many difficult to germinate seeds - I use a hand pump sprayer and just lightly cover the seed bed area with it for finicky seeds :wink:

Fish & Seaweed is an effective immune system booster, I adjust the dilution rate for adult plans under stress. It's also recommended to prevent transplant shock, and should be used ever time you transplant a plant.

I buy it by the 5 gallon concentrate bucket load......I never have too much!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hear at the Helpful Gardener we always try to advise people to use organic fertilizers as they tend to be less soluble in water and therefore your plants and cut flowers are able to control the quantity of nutrients that they recieve based on what they need for ultimal growth and health. Furthermore, organic fertilizers build the soil community that plants grow in therefore making a healthy environment for the plants to grow in and the plants tend to be more resistant to disease and have healthier blooms and fruit set.

Anyway, kelp meal, liquid seaweed fertilizer, liquid fish fertilizer (not recommended for indoor plants), cotton seed meal, blood meal and so on are some possible recomondations.

Compost is always a good idea, you can make your own for free and you can buy it bagged at local nurseries.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”