DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lawn and Garden Equipment Repair

Here's what I have looking forward to starting another busy week. A few quick pictures and a short problem summary.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Equipment/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Ellison%20Repair/EllisonRepairJune2012005.jpg[/img]

Background: left to right

John Deere, customer said no spark. If true, most likely a safety switch. Solid state ignition rarely burn out, but sometimes.

Toro, in for spring tune-up and sharpening of blades

Yard Machine by MTD, customer said possibly a blown head gasket. Big billow of smoke.

Cub Cadet, customer- engine sounds terrible, like something internal has broken. Will see.

Foreground:

Snapper mower, Wheel drive cable and Spring tune-up.

Plate compactor, Engine tune-up, change eccentric oil and belts.

Ariens mower, Find location of oil leak. Hoping it's just the filler tube seal.

The Stihl line trimmer, had a loose muffler. One screw was laying inside and the other sheared off. Drilled out and tapped.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Equipment/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Ellison%20Repair/EllisonRepairJune2012004.jpg[/img]
This Yard Machine, I will be pulling the carburetor and rebuilding. Should be all it needs. Low hours.
In this same picture, lower right, is a table saw. It has a problem with it's blade tilt lock.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Equipment/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Ellison%20Repair/EllisonRepairJune2012006.jpg[/img]

Customer complaining of belts slipping on this tiller. Belts look good, maybe just a quick adjustment.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20%20%20Equipment/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20-%20Ellison%20Repair/EllisonRepairJune2012007.jpg[/img]

Senco pneumatic stapler, This is from a frequent contractor customer of mine. The Toro mower is also his. This stapler needs a new piston and driver.

So this is what I do for a living.

I could see a repair forum on Helpful Gardener. 8)

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have enough work just keeping my own collection of gear running.
I just did my tractor, changed oil and filter, greased it all, changed hydraulic oil and filters, coolant, a new hose for oil cooler, new air filter, some adjustments and cleaned fuel filter. It cost over $350 just in supplies so I would go broke having it done in a shop.

imafan26
Mod

It is so expensive to repair some equipment that it is cheaper to buy a new one. Being able to fix things is a great skill to have.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I had to buy a new mower just last week as the one I had since 06 had the deck rotted out so bad it was falling apart. I used auto underbody coating to spray the underside of this mower to help with moisture wreaking havoc with the metal. I called around to every mower repair business to see if they had any decks in their "boneyard" that I could buy and simply put my motor on it, but they all said they scrap anything that isn't running and save none of it. Can't really blame them as that would take up tons of space.

The last mower was hosed off every time I used it and I made sure to get the accumulated grass clippings off the underside of the mower before storing it in my shed.

I did remove the 190cc motor from the deck and will keep it for a bit to see if one of my nephews wants to use it to build a go-cart for their kids as a fun little home project. If not, I'll keep it as a spare because at 66, my go-cart days are long behind me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a lawn mower that has been needing a new $3 crankshaft seal for 4 years. Maybe I fix it this year its only a 1 hour job. OR maybe I push it over with the other 6 lawn mowers that don't run. LOL

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”