sunnyvalley

Red "blood" droplet in my terrarium?

This is the oddest thing... I have a small sorta terrarium in a wine bottle that's been going for several months, and I just noticed this tiny, bright red droplet sitting on the soil. It's liquid, about 2mm across.

There's just a bell pepper plant and some clover growing in there, and I've never put in anything except water, certainly nothing red. What is this and how did it get there? I'm dying of curiosity! Any ideas?

[url=https://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/pectacon/red-drop.jpg]Photo[/url] (The blue thing in the picture is just a discarded seed coating.)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's possible that it's a tiny patch of fungus. Unfortunately, by the time I get the pic enlarged enough to hope to see detail on the red spot, it's so pixelated that it loses all definition. :(

Might you use one of your long-handled terrarium tools to reach in and gently scoop the red bit out? Then you could examine it at your leisure, perhaps with a magnifying glass. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

sunnyvalley

I wish - there's no way I could scoop it out without ruining it. Sorry my camera's crappy. I just saw something on google called bleeding tooth fungus and the droplet looks like these, although there's no mushroom thing under it. Bleh! Miracle gro, what hath you wrought?
https://oddstuffmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/a97309_g195_3-bleeding.jpg

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's always possible that the mushroom body just hasn't emerged from the soil yet. I'm not knowledgeable about that particular species.

Mushrooms and fungi are not a sign of anything bad. They live on soil that is rich in decaying organic material. I don't use Miracle Gro potting mix, but if fungi grow on it, that would only be a sign of richness. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Bet there is a small peice of wood in the soil it is growing from.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”