Grey
Greener Thumb

Hello!

I'm new to this forum!

I just moved to N. GA from central Florida - and I feel like a baby gardener all over again! If I can help people understand how to grow veggies and plants in FL, maybe some other folks can help me figure out when planting time is here for so many varieties, and how much trouble I am in with the plants I brought with me from the Sunshine State.

I ask a zillion questions, especially at first here because I see all these flowers and I don't know what they ARE!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As you can tell already I have the same problem with tropicals! :lol:

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

Well, I'll tell you, the only thing in FL that I really couldn't figure out how to grow like a lot of other people could, was bromiliads (sp?). They can be so pretty when they bloom, and there are so many varieties, but I couldn't keep one healthy to save my life.

But I grew all kinds of veggies there - corn, potatoes, cabbage, lettuce, several tomato types, eggplant, carrots, beans, peas, etc.

I'll try to answer all the tropicals questions. :)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Excellent! :D :D :D :D

Welcome aboard Grey! I'll try to clue you in to plants that go dormant and other vagaries of the cooler states...

Scott :D

Grey
Greener Thumb

That would be SUPER - I have lived my whole life in FL, so as much as GA already feels like home, I am lost on the gardening scene. Some things will be the same or similar, but it will definitely take a while before I get the routine figured out!

Do you know: are there "winter" gardens in N. GA? In FL you could plant things like onions, cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, etc. in October and have that going until February, when it was time to start the summer garden (which died by late July from the humidity).

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Any of the crucifers (Cabbage, broccoli, kale, etc.) should work and root crops should be great, too...

Grey
Greener Thumb

Sounds great- definitely looking forward to it!:)

bichocanasto

:shock: Where were you when I was looking for info on Florida gardening??? :wink: Imagine, I moved from South Africa to South Florida... Like you, I found I knew nothing about what grows here and also got to this forum looking for info. How good to find these helpful people who know their stuff! I am also learning about my new area, little by little and some progress can be seen...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”