StolenReindeer
Newly Registered

I can't identify this seedling!

If anyone could help me figure out what this plant is, it would be very helpful. A bunch of these just started growing a few weeks ago. I dug up one of them, and they're growing from round black seeds. thank you! :D

[img]https://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/nataliepotter/UnknownSeedling.jpg[/img]

garden girl
Cool Member

what have you had growing in that area?

StolenReindeer
Newly Registered

I' had basil, parsely, japanese eggplant and green beans growing near there last season. This year I've added lettuce and spinach seedlings too.

Also, there was this weird plant about 1-2 feet tall that grew in that area the last year. I never figured out what that plant was either (so maybe they're the same plant). I initally thought it was some sort of a pepper (bell pepper, or japanese peppers) that sprouted from the previous year's seeds, but when it bloomed in the summer it failed to produce any fruit. The blooms even reminded me of a pepper plant, small about 1/2 -1 inch, white, pointed (like a star). The leaves were small, long, narrow, light green and very shiney. When the flowers died they turned black I think...

I wish I had a picture of that plant too... :?

garden girl
Cool Member

if it's a very small round black seed, I think it's the lettuce. I have several different kinds started and the shape of the leaves looks like your picture. :) The first leaves of any spinach that I've grown are thin similar to grass.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”