bonniesue
Newly Registered

What to do with dried-out carnations...

Store-bought bouquets. Dried up in the vase. Would love to think there was a way to take those dried-out flowers and simmer them to release the wonderful carnation scent into the air again. NOTE: these were not "intentionally dried for display purposes" - these are just cut flowers that aren't pretty anymore, bent/ broken stems, brown edges, the usual stuff that happens to cut flowers treated casually. Should I discard the flower base and only use the leaves?
Is it worth simmering as potpourri, or it the whole idea a bust?
Thanks heaps...
bsue

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It may sound completely prosaic, but I cut 'em up and put 'em in my compost bin. That way, I can imagine to myself that the carnations/roses/daffodils/whatever cut flowers they were are in every single trowel-full of compost! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think ordinary carnations have enough scent to serve as a potpourri. However, there are what are called "clove scented carnations" -- my very favorites, but hard to find :D -- and if that's what you have, definitely experiment to see if gently simmering the dead flowers will release some more of the clove scent. :)

bonniesue
Newly Registered

Don't try this at home!

There was absolutely no hint of carnation scent. And believe me, these leaves were GENTLY simmered. It just smelled like warm, soggy, dead vegetable matter -- in short, totally gaggy! Further result - half a kitchen bag full of dead flowers (rental - no composting).

Well, ya never know til ya try, right? Now I know. Don't try! LOL

I'll just have to find a place where they sell a nice natural carnation oil and be content with that. Health product stores abound in the SF Bay area. Shouldn't be any trouble at all to find some!

Thanks for your input.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”