LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Book Recommendation?...

Hello Everyone,

I'm a newbie/novice gardener/houseplanter. At this point I'm completely obsessed and I don't see it being a passing thing. :D

I have the following question... If you could recommend one single book for someone like me, what would it be? (Topic could be stuff like: Horticulture, organic gardening, houseplants, etc.)

A few weeks ago I checked out about 6 books from my library. :shock: I have enjoyed reading and cross-referencing all of them. 8)

However, I have yet to find THE DEFINITIVE BOOK. The holy grail of plants and gardening, if you will. Ya know, the all encompassing super-comprehensive book. Ideally it would have great, reliable information, in lay-person's terms and be user friendly. Is there a book like that, or am I asking a silly naive question? :roll:

Looking forward to any recommendations anyone might have! :wink:

Thanks! :P

Newt
Greener Thumb

I'm sure everyone will have a favorite. With gardening being such a diverse subject it would be difficult to have all your heart's desire in one book. For info on woody plants I would recommend one or two authors, etc. There is one book that is very helpful to new gardeners. You might be able to find it in the library. Well-Tended Perennial Garden: Planting & Pruning Techniques byTracy DiSabato-Aust is a great all around book for a newbie.

Newt

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Hi Newt,

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I checked my library's website and it looks like they have the Well-Tended Perennial Garden book available! :D I'm gonna pick it up either this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your great comments and advice! :P

Best,
- LB

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Best gardening book I have ever read:

Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway

It is my gardening bible and is quite often used amongst my colleagues in organic gardening circles.

Also, a great book if you live on the West Coast is:

A Year On the Gardening Path by Caroline Heriot

garden girl
Cool Member

My favorite-Sunset's Western Garden Book, but of course I live in the west :wink: It has great pictures.
another great one I have is Encyclopedia of Gardening from The American Horticultural Society.It's one of those big, fat books that have everything!
My suggestion-find a seat in a local bookstore and grab a stack. It's free, unless you find something you really love!

LiddleBuddha
Cool Member

Dear opabinia51 & garden girl,

Awesome! :D Thank you very much for your recommendations. I found Sunset's Western Garden Book at my local library, and I found Gaia's Garden on amazon. :P I'm going to the library after work today and I'll order Gaia's Garden very soon.

opabinia51, I didn't find A Year On the Gardening Path at my library. But I found it at a nearby Borders, so that's a good opportunity to take your advice, garden girl, and go check it out along with a few other books. :wink:

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions you have given me! Looks like I have some great reading ahead of me! :D

Best,
- LB

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”