garden girl
Cool Member

I'm going to try adding dry milk....

Newt, you mentioned you used milk in another post, I think I will try adding dry milk to my new beds and some pots...see what happens...will post the news later.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Milk is generally used as a foliar spray to deal with powdery mildew and other fungal diseases. But, do let us know your results, you have me intrigued.

garden girl
Cool Member

It was my understanding that the milk was to supply calcium, but I think where I am trying it for powdery mildew could be even more useful!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Garden Girl,

I've not tried the powdered milk. Interesting idea, as Opabinia said. I add a tablespoon of milk to the watering can for my potted plants. Here's the recipe for milk spray for powdery mildew. It works well.
https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s948323.htm

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Two other ways to supply calcium:

Crushed eggshells (I used to get them from local restaurants and cafeterias but,now just use the ones from my home. )

Bone Meal

If you are growing tomatoe plants definately do add some source of Calcium. Otherwise the tomatoe plants will succomb to blossom end rot.

You can also buy a calcium spray at nurseries but, I like to keep things more or less natural.

garden girl
Cool Member

I know this has nothing to do with dry milk, but does bone meal attract animals/rodents? We have many neighborhood cats, racoons, among others.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I haven't found that it has but, it would be interesting to see what others have found.

Newt
Greener Thumb

I stopped using bone meal because my dogs would dig up whatever I planted. :?

Newt

Jess
Greener Thumb

I use bone meal and fish blood and bone in my garden. I know from other people that dogs like it but I don't have a dog, my cat is not interested and have no problems from rodents...might be because I have a cat though. :lol:

garden girl
Cool Member

I knew I remembered something of the sort, so I am glad we don't have a dog! Just neighborhood cats. I love animals, but not wandering around my yard to crap everwhere they please :roll: . grosses me out thinking that my lovely veg/fruit is sucking it up through the roots, EEEWWWW!!!
Anyway, that probably isn't my only gardening pet-peeve. ha ha.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”