Sercee

Recycling Fishtank Water as Fertlizer

I have two 10 gallon fishtanks (well, one's a salamander tank, only about 2-3 gallons of water in it) that, of course, have to have the water changed regularily. My tanks are as close to natural ecosystem as I could get it; I use very few chemicals, relying on a good bacteria colony for Ammonia breakdown instead.

Last year was my first year gardening and I decided to conserve water by using the water I change out of the tanks to water and fertilize my garden. I don't know if this is actually a good idea or not, but the results were pretty good! I used this water about 90% of the time (when it got too warm over a short period of time I had to resort to the hose) and only added other fertlizer to do my tomatoes now and then. The only other thing to be careful of was to make sure I washed by 'edibles' before consumption which I would do from the store anyway.

Again, I don't know if this is normally recommended but it worked great for me and helped keep my water consumption down and my garden looking great (expecially for a newbie)!

Sercee

Newt
Greener Thumb

I used to use the fish tank water to water my houseplants. I did find this site about the potential for releasing invasive plants into the environment as a potential problem.
www.habitattitude.net

Newt

tiggs&oscar

Souds pretty good to me especially if it is relatively chemical free. What about using the water to keep a compost heap moist every now and then? Then you could use that on your pots or beds. I think maybe the only concern is what is contained in the water from your tanks is then exposed to the environment.
Your local pet or garden store could probably advise.

TO

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”