MrPumpkin
Newly Registered

I have soil issues, but...what are they?

Greetings all!

I have a 50x50 garden that I have been working on for a few years, with a repeated pattern of only being able to produce squash and minipumpkins out of it.

I have tried many!! other fruits, veggies, flowers, and the ONLY thing that this soil seems to produce (and does it fairly well) is squash or minipumpkins. (No big ones)

What does this tell you soil and/or gardening experts?

I have had onions, tomatos, corn, beans, peas, cucumber plants start and then just die off. It seems to tell me that the soil is rich in some things and completely lacking in others. But...which ones ?

I am ALL ears and interested in your input!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum.

Soil test?
What is the history of the 50 x 50 space?
Neighbors having the same issues?
Fertilizer, compost or mulch?

Looking for a little more information.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

state labs do soil testing at reasonable rates.

for MN see: https://soiltest.cfans.umn.edu/

it's the best way to find out what's out of whack.

MrPumpkin
Newly Registered

The land has been unused and dormant for the life of it. it borders a softwood forest, and hasn't been planted on for decades (of my knowledge, at least)

I did burn a huge pile of brush on it 4 or 5 years before I planted it.

The neighbors don't plant gardens here so I am on my own that way.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

wood ash is high in potash - which also can affect your pH.

how drastic the effect may be / have been really depends on how much wood burned down to ash.

that said, it's also highly soluble - couple years fallow should have leeched much/most of it away unless the garden spot in in a hollow and doesn't drain well.

MrPumpkin
Newly Registered

Dillbert, roger that on the PH, however it is on a flat piece of land and not in a place where water settles or stands in pools.

FrugalK

Hi Mr Pumpkin,

I'm going to third the suggestion for a soil test. The link that Dillbert posted has all the details, but in summary, you take a few samples of soil from your garden, send it off with your check (I think $15 in your state), and they send back an analysis of your soil, along with recommendations on what to add to get better results.

Maybe your hoping to save a few bucks by skipping this, but think about the time, effort and cash you put into your garden already. In your situation, I'd probably go for it.

Otherwise, some things you could try:

* Make sure your spot gets enough sunlight. 8-10 hours a day for veggies
* Is it too little or too much water? When you water, dig down to make sure that the soil is wet 3-6 inches down, and not just on the surface.
* Improve your soil by adding compost that you make yourself from kitchen scraps and leaves etc
* You could give up on improving the soil that's there, and make a raised bed by making a frame of wood beams and filling it with garden soil that you buy

Good luck!

MrPumpkin
Newly Registered

No, I agree fully, if its $15 or $25 it is a valuable asset and I will send some soil off to be tested.

I did email them at the link you gave me and asked for current rates and the address to send to.

Thanks for the suggestions, I am very interested to hear back what the evaluaation is.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”