applestar
Mod

I just spent $150 on dirt and poo!

oh and some sticks and strings...at least that's what I was thinking on the way home from the garden center..... :roll:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I get potting soil in bags for potted plants and starts some times. I am making my own soil more now. I got a 14 yard truck of soil additive for my garden. I put as much organic stuff in the garden as I can.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ouch! :(

You should buy bulk. I am assuming you bought bags. I could get 5 heaping turckloads of topsoil (meaning 1 - 2 yards) or roughly twice that in compost for that amount.

But therein lies the problem if you don't have a truck or a friend with a truck what do yo do? Some places deliver but with that comes an extra charge.

applestar
Mod

Gee thanks, all... :? :wink: JK. :D

Yeah, normally I would have three full bins of compost -- one finished, one nearly finished, and one still cooking, but since I didn't feel at all well last year, I had to go buy them. I'm feeling really good this spring and am full of plans and NEW PROJECTS! :(). And I'm letting myself cut corners so I can expend my energy on the prepping and planting. (Lots of prepping as I did practically NO fall cleanup :x)

I got my favorite premium brand compost at my favorite store, and went to look in the greenhouse for my 2nd favorite premium potting soil (which I really could cobble together out of the worm compost, etc. but I'm giving myself a break :wink: -- oh, and this store doesn't carry my favorite premium potting soil but usually has practically everything else I need) and discovered that the store has stocked the full line of Dr. Earth (Hand Crafted or some some such by-line) potting soil, compost, garden soil, etc. (Oh my!) So I bought big bags of Dr. Earth premium organic potting soil for seed starting and premium organic potting soil enriched with bat guano for potting up. 8)

I have plans for another try at growing corn, I really think I'm getting better every year, and "earmarked" one garden bed for that but I have to rebuild this bed. Also, I want to start a new bed in the front yard edible landscape, so I bought extra amendments for that.... And there you are. :D

Some people spend $$$ on shoes, I spend them on dirt. :-()

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Holy junk! :shock:

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I came across an add on Craigslist that says I can get a pickup truck load of year old composted manure, straw and shavings (stable waste) for $30 a load and they will load it with a front end loader.

I may look into it tomorrow since my other source is much more labor intensive, though free for the taking, but needs to compost since it is fresh stuff.

My wife doesn't know it yet but I plan on turning over part of the front lawn and boxing it in for a flower bed for her. I can do this in one day, weather permitting.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Yeah I did cragslist also.
They gave it away and charged 5 bucks to load it. (Horse and stall shavings.
There's a cow farm but they want 25 a load I think.
I got 2 loads of horse and I paided for the gas so 25 in all for 2 loads and ill give the friend some starter plants.

applestar
Mod

It's always good when you can make your own. Sources of free and almost free compost ingredients are endless. :D

I'll be adding some of each of these precious bagged compost and potting soil to my sadly neglected compost pile to hopefully diversify my microbes. I already added a shovelful of the mushroom compost after a short hand stirred steeping in a bucket of pond water. (I LOVE mushroom compost -- when you open the bag, you get a whiff of wonderful mushroom-y odor and I can't help thinking mmmm.... Fungi for my fungi 8)) What I'd really like to do is AACT the really expensive stuff first. :wink: Once the spring season really kicks off there'll be drowned weeds and other goodies for my compost pile as well as the re-awakening earthworms to help with the chores :o :()

It's interesting that you mention getting so much manure. I normally don't make use of that at all though I'll be putting some in the compost pile this time since I got some. Next time I go to the feed store, I'll get a big bag of alfalfa pellets and that lasts me for a long time. I also need to get crushed oyster shells and hay.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So glad to see you feeling better and full of energy again! :)

I quite understand about buying dirt instead of shoes or makeup or something! :) I'm also very stingy about energy use and constantly turning off lights, turning down the thermostat, etc ... until it comes to my seed starting operation and then somehow it is ok to burn power like crazy!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

(I LOVE mushroom compost -- when you open the bag, you get a whiff of wonderful mushroom-y odor and I can't help thinking mmmm.... Fungi for my fungi )
Is there a concern about Fungi for your Lungi. Should you be breathing the stuff?

Eric

applestar
Mod

Gee you're negative in ths thread, Eric. No I don't stick my head in the bag and take a deep breath! :lol:

I'm in more danger from the fumes from gas powered garden tools so I don't use any.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Gee you're negative in this thread, Eric. No I don't stick my head in the bag and take a deep breath! :lol:

I'm in more danger from the fumes from gas powered garden tools so I don't use any.
Yes, You are absolutely right and I apologies. Oil, gasoline, lube, solvents are much worse.

Eric

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”