Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Garden layout and planning software

We debated all winter whether it was worth going through another summer of killer heat to grow our own. So over the last month we decided to remove a couple of trees and double the size of our garden.. Ya gotta die of something. Might as well be heat stroke.

I have been looking for free software to lay out our garden with. We will plant a main plot about 55x45 feet, a smaller 25x 70 feet and a 4x 50 foot plot. I can't find software that will do anything bigger than 12x12. I'd like to draw the gardens as they actually are in relation to each other. I'd like to be able to place the plants and save each planting so we can rotate mid summer and future years planting for crop rotation.

We have fed ourselves year round on half this much garden and want to be able to give away more food. I could just draw it and keep a journal but I can't read my handwriting. I used cabinet design software in my former business that was simple to use, versatile and easy to change. Does anything exist for what I want to do? Google only gives me sights that seem to be harvesting email addresses.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

there are a number of free CAD programs -

https://www.freecad.com/CAD_Programs_-_Windows/

obviously they'll not have (included) functions to calculate how many pounds of corn seed you'll need for x,y,z type of thing.

not tried it but:
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/design/nature-lovers/welcome-to-plan-a-garden/

a search on garden design software turned up quite a bit - some of it no-cost.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thank you both. I'll check it out.

Marlingardener, I'll be down for a few days but expect to be firing on all 7 cylinders in no time. Heck, I feel like a hundred dollars.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Yes, I have a head you can crack walnuts on.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”