GARDEN NOVICE
Newly Registered

planting grass over cement

Hello,

We have recently bought our first house and would like to design a nice little yard with grass and flowers for our family to enjoy. Unfortunately, the majority of the yard is covered in cement, with two little plots in the back that were used as garden space. We also have grapes growing on a trellis made of old pipes that divides these two plots of earth. The grapes are nice, but the rusty pipes not too nice at all. We would like to plant grass over the majority of the cement, can we do this without breaking up the cement, or will we have drainage problems? I understand that one can plant shallow rooted grass. How long does it take for grass to establish? Also we would like to rearrange the grapes so that they do not divide the back area, but as I understand, grapes are planted in a permanent position. I don't know much about gardening at all (as is obvious), but am keen to learn and would appreciate any advice on these matters. As well, I welcome any suggestions for what I might plant in my yard--favorite flowers, shrubs etc.

Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

GRASS:

You can lay soil over the top of the cement and plant grass over that (I personally like to simply lay leaves and then some green like manure, coffee grounds, etc) and then plant grass. Grass roots and generally not to invasive so, they shouldn't break up the cement to much if you purchase a shallow rooted grass. I recommend asking the professionals at a local nursery as to what variety will work best in your region.

As far as drainage is concerned; I think that it would be best to consult a professional and make sure that the drainage tiles around your house have been flushed (should be done at least every two years anyway). And look at the slope of the land as far as runoff towards the house would be with the new lawn. Composted leaves will hold between 300 to 500 percent of their mass in water so, if you use that method you should have a problem with your new soil holding onto excess water. But, as said; I would consult a professional first.

Oh, and the grass will be up that year. It usually takes several weeks for it to get going. Best to start from seed and water regularly duirng the first little while.

GRAPES

With regard to your grapes, this time of year you should be pruning your grapes back to the 3rd bud. You can orchestrate their growth such that it does not block your backyard. Once pruned, you can take down the old trellis and put something up that looks really nice like wood.
I know some people that have a wood sort of trellis with chains coming down for the grapes to grow up.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”