reedboww
Newly Registered

how to take care of my umbrella tree schefflera

hi my leaves are all falling off of my plant can someone tell me why and help me to stop any more from coming off

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

What type of plant do you have?

Is the plant indoors or outdoors?

What sort of fertilizer do you use? (Organic or synthetic)

How much light does the plant recieve? (full spectrum sunlight)

Could be that the plant is stressed but, we'll need some more information before someone can make a diagnosis.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Reedboww,

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener. You said that your umbrella tree schefflera is losing it's leaves but you don't tell us how you are caring for it or what else you see happening. Are the leaves turning yellow or brown? Are the lower leaves falling off first or is it all over the tree?

How are you watering? Do you water when the top inch or two of soil is dry and then water until the water runs through to the saucer? How long do you let water sit in the saucer?

When was this plant last repotted? If it was repotted by you did you use a pot 2" larger?

Are you fertilizing? If so what do you use and how often?

Is it in a clay pot or a plastic or ceramic one? Are there drainage holes?

What type of lighting is it in?

As you can see I've asked almost the same questions as Opabinia. Do get back to us.

By the way, there are two different trees that are called umbrella tree. Take a look at these and let us know which one. I have both and one loses more leaves then the other.

Schefflera, Umbrella Tree - Brassaia actinophylla
https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/plants/brassaia.jpg

Arboricola Schefflera - Hawaiian umbrella tree (has smaller leaves)
https://biotech.tipo.gov.tw/plantjpg/2/Schefflera%20arboricola%20Hayata.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Dwarf_Luseanne_Arboricola.JPG/240px-Dwarf_Luseanne_Arboricola.JPG

Newt

vtdigitalprods
Newly Registered

umbrella tree

Hi there,
I'm not Reedboww but I ALSO have this tree (I believe it's the Hawaiian variety since the leaves are only 2 to 4 inches long) which is ALSO losing leaves at an alarming rate.
Can you help?
It's quite big now, in a huge pot, get good light with [possibly 3 hours of direct light in morning (too much?).
It's in a huge clay pot with drainage (has a catch plate so I can see when water has come through)
I'm really not sure how much I should be watering, but I tend to give it enough to run through maybe twice a week.
Remaining leaves are still fairly healthy with mostly green and some yellow parts, and the plant DOES have some scale but not out of control.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Tim
Putney, VT

Gnome
Mod

Tim,

Hello and welcome to The Helpful Gardener. How long have you had this tree and have you changed anything such as its location or your watering practices? Can you describe the soil in the pot, a few pictures would be helpful. You cannot water on any kind of schedule. You should allow the soil to dry a bit, less so for this species than others perhaps, before you water thoroughly again.

Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479&sid=1450263430161a7aa9910b1485c8098b]here[/url] for information regarding correct watering practices.

Here is a link that might help.

[url]https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Schefflera.html[/url]

Norm

vtdigitalprods
Newly Registered

dgf

Hi there, and thanks for the response!
This plant was recently moved, but didn't start losing leaves until 'spring' hit in Vermont.
I'm not sure of the watering practices in the past since the previous owners have moved away, but I'm sure I'm paying MORE attention to it than they did. I would suspect I'm watering it more than they did.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/78389972@N00/?deleted=272572896]MY PLANT PHOTOS[/url]
Thanks for the links! Let me know what you think if you have a chance to look at the photos.
-Tim

Gnome
Mod

Tim,

Two things to pay attention to. I would really try hard to get rid of the scale. I have been fighting some for a while and just when I think I am rid of them a new crop pops up.
It's in a huge clay pot with drainage (has a catch plate so I can see when water has come through)
It's possible that you are not thoroughly wetting the entire root mass. I know that it is difficult to water a large plant indoors without making a mess. The thing is if you water until a little water comes out then I suspect that parts of it are remaining dry.
I tend to give it enough to run through maybe twice a week.
Unless it is in a very free draining, bonsai type mix, which I doubt, I would think that it would not need to be watered so often. This also leads me to think that you are not effectively wetting the soil. A large pot like that, if watered properly, would probably remain moist for more than 3 or 4 days.

If possible take it outside or put it in the tub to water is very well once and see if it makes any improvement. Water the entire surface of the soil until water runs freely. Wait 10 minutes or so and repeat this. Do this several times until you are sure that the entire root mass is thoroughly wet.

Norm

fancy

The soil maybe need freshened also. You can either change the pot and all or scrape off the top 2" and mix in some fresh potting soil.

rjaffeux
Newly Registered

umbrella tree schefflera care

I have a umbrella tree. I've owned it for about 10yrs. With in the last 2yrs I've learned a lot of things about my plant. (tree) Every winter i bring it indoors and every spring i take it back outside. I have a few questions. First off how large can they get living like this. I've seen several sizes. Ours is the tree version. It's two straight trucks. Next how cold can they take. We are getting temp. of 70 during the day and about 40 at night and wonder if it's too cold out to bring it out. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas i would be thankful. thanks Rachel

fancy

I wouldn't leave a houseplant out under 50° I have always heard it puts them into shock. The only ones I have left out colder than that are cactus.

rjaffeux
Newly Registered

thanks

thanks i agree with you just wanted to hear someone say it.

teapot100
Newly Registered

I know this thread was last responded to over a year ago, but my schefflera is also losing leaves at an alarming rate. It's the top leaves that are turning brown first and falling off. We moved around Christmas time and until then it was flourishing. Now I don't know what to do for it. Because the top leaves are being lost first, does that mean the plant isn't getting enough water?

We bought ours as a little wee thing from Ikea 3 years ago and I stunted its growth by keeping it in the same pot for 2 years! Then I decided to repot it to see what would happen and it did start growing, but then it was infested with some sort of bug (aphids? I'm not sure!) so I brought it outside (we live in NH) late spring/early summer and left it there for about 3 months in the north-facing side where it didn't get much sun, if any. I forgot about it some weeks, rarely ever watered it, but it GREW! And GREW! I guess a little benign neglect didn't hurt.

Anyway, it was doing fine when we brought it back in, but since the move it's been sickly. I'll admit that I've forgotten to water it a few times since we moved.

Anyone have any ideas?

lily51
Greener Thumb

We were given a schefflera for our wedding many years ago. It was stricly an indoors plant. Seems I was always fighting spider mites, which are very common pests of this plant. Look for litle "webs" where stems/leaves meet. I tried washing leaves with soapy water. It was a constant battle. The plant lasted for some time, but i finally gave up.
I'm not telling you to give up, but what the problem might be. Let us know its progress.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Schefflara's home range is Australia. So it aught to tolerate dry indoors conditions.

Its not a tree I've grown as bonsai. I suspect trees are being over watered, in too dense soil, with too little sunlight.

If you stick your finger in soil and its mucky, and your tree is sited away from a south facing window along an interior wall...
Think like a tree
© 2016 Invisable Inc.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”