PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

WHere did you get the catalog from?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm driving through central Texas tonight and was going to stop by a see if you wanted to go see Lyle Lovett at Austin City Limit. I guess I'll just turn around and go home. I feel like such a loser. Stood up for a seed book....

Susan W
Greener Thumb

OMG MG. Lyle Lovett. We'll forgive you this time, and enjoy your new seed catalog.
In jest of course!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Lyle Lovett, "Nobody Knows Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQbTRcUbHwY

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
And we could all together
Go out on the ocean
Me upon my pony on my boat :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
Go out on the ocean
If I were Roy Rogers
I'd sure enough be single
I couldn't bring myself to marrying old Dale
It'd just be me and trigger
We'd go riding through them movies
Then we'd buy a boat and on the sea we'd sail :P

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I'm mistin' up.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Charlie MV wrote:If I had a boat
I'd go out on the ocean
And if I had a pony
I'd ride him on my boat
Go out on the ocean
If I were Roy Rogers
I'd sure enough be single
I couldn't bring myself to marrying old Dale
It'd just be me and trigger
We'd go riding through them movies
Then we'd buy a boat and on the sea we'd sail :P
The mystery masked man was smart
He got himself a Tonto
'Cause Tonto did the dirty work for free
But Tonto he was smarter
And one day said kemo sabe
Kiss my edited I bought a boat
I'm going out to sea

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

She hates my mama
She hates my daddy too
She loves to tell me
She hates the things I do
She loves to lie beside me
Almost every night
She's no lady she's my wife

The preacher asked her
And she said I do
The preacher asked me
And she said yes he does too
And the preacher said
I pronounce you 99 to life
Son she's no lady she's your wife.

Marlingarderer sweetie, that's Lyle....

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The owl and the pussycat went to sea
in a beautiful, pea-green boat.
They took some honey
and plenty of money
Wrapped up in a five-pound note.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Pinetree gets its catalog out early! My seed catalogs don't usually come until around Christmas or even early Jan. I always figured it was to avoid being lost in the flood of Christmas shopping catalogs pouring in. I used to shop out of the catalogs, so I get a million of them. Now that I make most of my gifts, I should work harder at trying to stop the catalogs... such a waste of paper and beautiful printing.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The new HPS catalog came yesterday. That means, ALL the Jung Seed catalogs will be along very, very soon.

Small catalog, large selection, beautiful printing and you can see what's new, online:

[url=https://www.tmseeds.com/category/Shop_New_Garden_Seed/a]What's new from Thompson & Morgan[/url]

Steve

Tilde
Green Thumb

I go for penguins ...

I am trying verrrry hard to avoid seed catalogs as I have more than enough ...

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener, you're kidding us right? Lyle, a ugly as he is, had sufficient talent to catch Julia Robert's eye and even married her.

Put on your headphones and give this one a listen. If it doesn't win you over I'll have to worry about you.

Church

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42NzUuUlLY&feature=related

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4evzpIVnMVs&feature=related

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Pinetree gets its catalog out early! My seed catalogs don't usually come until around Christmas or even early Jan. I always figured it was to avoid being lost in the flood of Christmas shopping catalogs pouring in. I used to shop out of the catalogs, so I get a million of them. Now that I make most of my gifts, I should work harder at trying to stop the catalogs... such a waste of paper and beautiful printing.
No waste if you use them as gift wrapping paper. :wink:

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

interesting idea... I do of course recycle everything, but that's still a lot more wasteful than just not printing them.

I will have to think more about the gift wrap idea, see if there's a way I could do that, that would meet my rather exacting standards about gift wrapping...

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Ah ha! I get it now, about If I Had a Boat. Interesting lyrics.
I must say he does clean up well, but I still just don't get the voice. I guess you need to start worrying, Charlie.

It's not the voice. He's Shakespeare with a touch of Robin Williams and a little Bob Dylan thrown in for good measure.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:interesting idea... I do of course recycle everything, but that's still a lot more wasteful than just not printing them.

I will have to think more about the gift wrap idea, see if there's a way I could do that, that would meet my rather exacting standards about gift wrapping...
You may just have gotten me started on a whole new hobby (as if I needed one!) :D I don't think I would like the look of packages just wrapped in pages from catalogs, but I realized if you get into making homemade paper, you could recycle the catalog pages into new homemade paper! Too cool!

So now I'm trying to figure out how to make a mold and deckle big enough to make a gift wrapping sized sheet! Can I do this in time for this Christmas?!

applestar
Mod

window screen.

When I experimented with making paper with my kids, we used window screens and embroidery hoops.

I think actual window frame/screens are not secured well enough to support the wet pulp.

Easiest way I can think of would be to use an artists canvase frame kit ... Or make a double frame similar to embroidery hoops in the size you want.

I can see you embedding herbs and flower petals. Lavender! Sounds like a wonderful project :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go&feature=related :(

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Some seeds catalogs (bakers Creek for example) make good seed holders as well.

As for me I would have rather stayed home and looked through the catalog that got to the show. :P But I would have been happy to have the company.

Tilde
Green Thumb

I've seen greeting card paper you can plant and it turns into flowers - why not pulp up the paper, embed it with seeds, and use it as gift tags that are plantable? (That's how I used the plantable paper, cut into gift tags)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

My crush on Julia Roberts was revamped when she divorced Lyle Lovett. I mean if THAT guy had a shot, surely I was a shoe in!! :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Charlie,
I thought you might enjoy listening to this:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJt4Bg6705s[/url]
:roll: :roll:

THAT WAS GRRRREEAT!!! YEAH BABY YOU GOT IT!!

Try this, this made me and my wife mist up for real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9onItja6K0&feature=related

I sound kind of like that.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My heroes, the two Alberts, Schweitzer and Einstein.

Einstein though he is noted for the Theory of Relativity, seems to have been a man with a gift for seeing through to and boiling down the essence of things. Hundreds of wonderful quotes are attributed to him (e.g.

https://rescomp.stanford.edu/~cheshire/EinsteinQuotes.html

And anyway every time I see a picture of him, I fall in love with those eyes and that hair!

[url=https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://www.myanmars.net/myanmar-history/albert-einstein.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.myanmars.net/myanmar-history/albert-einstein-quote.htm&h=497&w=407&sz=54&tbnid=jWIelBQ6WTnf9M:&tbnh=99&tbnw=81&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dalbert%2Beinstein%2Bquotes%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=albert+einstein+quotes&docid=IudgnN3sQ0_d2M&sa=X&ei=8FfGTrGuOuPY0QHJhMwn&ved=0CEwQ9QEwBw&dur=2145]einstein[/url]

Then there is Schweitzer, medical missionary, philospher-scientist, Nobel peace prize winner, musician and scholar of music, author (including writings on Reverence for Life). And he is portrayed with a wonderful smile

[img]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-D0116-0041-019,_Albert_Schweitzer.jpg[/img] (couldn't quite get that to appear here, but if you click the square, you can open the photo in a new window) or just go here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Schweitzer

I'm tempted to use Marie Curie for the third. She's from the same era as the Alberts and with two Nobel prizes, she could certainly hold her own in conversation with them. But it might shake things up and make it livelier to have someone more contemporary.

So perhaps Ursula K. LeGuin, my all time favorite author, a contemporary woman with an amazing scope of thought...

Now there would be a dinner to remember!
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, did I just make that all up? My post above was, because I could swear Mg's post included a challenge question about what three people (past or present) would you invite to Thanksgiving dinner.

By the time I finished the post and hit submit, there was no such question.

Marlingardener, are you playing with me? :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

OK, I see what happened, I just got this in the wrong place. I will put it in the right thread and this can be deleted... sorry, thanks.

applestar
Mod

I'm tempted NOT to delete the above posts... Can we keep them here, too? Pleeeeze? :>

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I enjoyed looking at those names and the reasons you would invite them in both threads.

Other than family, I've been wondering who I'd like to see at the Thanksgiving table . . .

Calvin Lamborn, who developed the Sugarsnap Pea should be an appreciated choice. Those snap peas were about the most important garden addition in my lifetime, after he came up with them!

And, James Baggett, with his peas, beans and tomatoes - wow! I've even grown his Summertime lettuce.

Sitting down with Luther Burbank . . . Hey!! Besides the ingredients, I wonder if they'd help do the dishes!

Steve

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Partly because I fell for the temptation to careen so far off topic:

There are seed companies that are entirely online. One is Solana Seed in Quebec. I have never ordered from Solana. The shipping fee for international orders has deterred me . . . so far.

However, there is a new listing for 2012 at: [url=https://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/]Solana Seed (click).[/url]

There is probably a good opportunity, other than here on the Helpful Gardener, to share ideas on a favorite seed catalog (including those online) by making a recommendation on About.com. [url=https://gardening.about.com/b/2011/11/19/recommend-a-gardening-catalog.htm]They are asking today (click).[/url]

Steve

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I have also received a couple catalogs in the mail already. they are stuffed in the cabinet until after the holidays as the last thing I need is to get garden obsessed already. a friend and I already made plans to start paper machet pot in january. I'm going to experiment with vegetable and tomato tone in the bottom of the pot so the seedlings don't die like they did last year.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

OK, I am hating the seed companies right now ......
I'm staring at a Christmas tree with wrapped presents underneath and all I think about is next years garden!!! All Dale can say is "who cares where you put it the ground is frozen"
It is WAY to early to have garden fever -wall- -wall- -wall-

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez... tree and wrapped presents already!? You are way ahead of the game. No wonder you can be garden fevering.

I doubt lack of fertilizer was why the seedlings died this year, but stay in touch with us next year and we will help make sure it goes well!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Living in paper pots caused s nitrogen deficiency *I think* That makes me think they need something extra to survive the paper pots.
No one else had decorations up or gifts wrapped? Hello only 19 days left! Well, til Christmas other holiday celebrations come sooner! And I didn't say I was done, I just get 80% of my shopping done on black Friday. ;)

Is anyone else up to 5 seed catalogs? Its nuts! I'm :-() over seed savers and Bakers creek I LOVE them.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

My memory isn't the best but I believe most of them turned yellow shriveled up and just died......though I think the toms and peppers stopped growing for quite awhile before they pooped out. Most had a few true leaves before they bit the dust.
Perhaps one of our trusty mods can relocate this section of this thread to the seed starting forum seeing as I've noe dragged us way off topic. ;)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”