Molokai_Bernie

Listeria contamination question

Has there been any determination of how the Listeria contamination occurred recently with the Colorado grown cantaloupes? As much detail as anyone has would be appreciated. I assume this is a case of the crop having some contamination on the exterior of the fruit. Also, does anyone have a listing of which crops are historically most often the targets of food born disease? I think this might be useful info for us gardeners to be aware of. Thanks! :?:
Bernie Strehler Molokai Hawaii

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I haven't been able to find anything definite about how those canteloupes got contaminated with listeria, just the possibility that it was from farm animals.

Nobody would have gotten sick if they had washed the outside of the melon with hot soapy water first before cutting in to it.

Most often these disease outbreaks are on plants/fruits that sit on the soil, lie the melons, or like lettuce and spinach. Most often they come from contamination with manure, sometimes because the lettuce is directly sprayed with a manure slurry, for fertilization.

If you are growing your own food and don't have animals in the garden and don't use fresh manure, you should never have a problem. If you get your food from a local farm, where you know what the farming practices are, you should never have a problem. Any produce you get from a grocery store should be washed well.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Molokai_Bernie

Thanks for your comments Rainbowgardener! As a newcomer, it’s nice to get help from a “Super Green Thumbâ€
Bernie Strehler Molokai Hawaii

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”