nk

Overwintering: A home-made alternative to peat moss?

I'm looking to overwinter my tuberous begonia for the first time this year. I learned online how exactly to go about the process of overwintering and you're supposed to store the tuber in peat moss or sawdust. I don't want to use coconut coir and I don't have a cat to use kitty litter.
I want to keep my tuber dry and cool but substitute the peat moss with a home made (dorm made*) alternative.
I read that a mixture of egg shells, coffee grounds and shredded newspaper would be effective but only on one website, and I don't have access to egg shells either.
What about coffee grounds and shredded newspaper alone? Why can't I just use shredded newspaper only, surely it's dry...

nk

Marlingardener wrote:NK,
You can buy kitty litter in a small bag at almost any grocery, and it isn't expensive.
Sawdust will be available at a lumber yard, cabinet shop, or construction site. Take your own bag or container and ask for some.
Pet shops have pine shavings for gerbil bedding. Again, it comes in smaller bags and isn't expensive.
I would think that a mixture of coffee grounds and shredded newspaper would tend to either mold, or mat down.
Ok, I think kitty litter is my best bet then. Thank you

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm curious: what is your objection to using coconut coir?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

nk

cynthia_h wrote:I'm curious: what is your objection to using coconut coir?

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I had a feeling it would be difficult to obtain.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh, OK. Other members here at THG have reported that they've seen coconut coir sold as (I think?) reptile bedding or some such at Petsmart and Petco in very small boxes/bags. It would be prohibitively expensive for a large garden, but for a small use like you describe, maybe the right amount?

One of these days, I'm going to have to check this out. I just don't go to the large Big Box pet supply places much, and have never been a reptile-keeper....

Thank you for the answer! :D

Cynthia

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Coir is no more expensive than peat moss and can be purchased at many nurseries. Coir is a whole lot more environmentally friendly.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03255.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Greenhouse%20Photos/DSC03264.jpg[/img]

Price comparison
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=188081#188081

Eric

nk

I only need enough to overwinter one tuber so I think because of the amount I need, a small bag of kitty litter will be easier to find than a small enough bag of coir/peat moss, but thank you for the price comparison, I'll remember that in the future

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”