devans175
Newly Registered

New Home - Hibiscus

I recently moved to a new home and the previous owners left me with some really nice plants. I'd like to keep them looking nice, but I need some help. The first plant in question is a Hibiscus. There are 4 of them, they had orange flowers in the summer. They are about 3 -4 feet tall. They were newly planted (judging by the tags they left on them). The main stem grew in a spiral pattern around a wooden stake to help support it. My question is... will it come back in the spring and do I need to do anything to help it.... prune it? ... cut it off at the ground? or should I just wait and see what happens? The tag was from Royal Garden Supplies Inc but is pretty generic. It does have a code XRT00002, but web searches didn't yeild any hits...

Any help you can give me would be appreciated :-)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Devans, welcome to The Helpful Gardener and congratulations on your new home! I live near you in Columbia and grow hardy hibiscus. The top growth is usually killed to the ground with a couple of hard freezes, but it comes back every year. I'm guessing yours are hardy too since they were planted in the ground, but here's how you can check to see if they are.
https://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

I would suggest a 3" layer of mulch around the roots but not against the trunk.

Here's info on growing hardy hibiscus.
https://www.bachmans.com/tipsheets/Perennials/HardyHibiscus.cfm

Newt
Last edited by Newt on Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

devans175
Newly Registered

Thanks Newt, but the links you sent me went to a page that talks about growing corn in a pot. Interesting, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm not navigating the pages correctly.

Incidently, I wouldn't assume that the prvious owners planted it in the ground because that was the right method for that plant. I get the impression that they were going for curb appeal and just shoved a bunch of plants in the ground. It sound like the best thing to do is to just wit and see. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes up in the spring. The previous owner worked for a nursery and I have a feeling there are all kinds of surprises in the ground.

I would like to read those links if you wouldn't mind re-posting.... unless I'm just missing something:-)

Newt
Greener Thumb

Devans, I'm so sorry. I'm using a new browser and didn't realize that I kept pasting the same wrong link. My bad. I've corrected the links.

I agree that we can't assume the former owner planted hardy hibiscus, that's why I included the first site on how to id which they are. If the former owner worked for a nursery you should have a lovely landscape when spring arrives.

Let me know if those links work for you now.
Newt

devans175
Newly Registered

The links worked. Looks like most likely they're the tropical variety, but I'm going to leave them in the ground until spring anyway. I have a few more plants I'm wondering about. I'll post them under a new thread later.
Thanks Again!!

Newt
Greener Thumb

Great! If you have pics of anything you are curious about do post those as well.

Glad that was helpful but sorry to hear they are probably tropical. I suppose the spring will tell us.

Newt

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”