janesmis
Newly Registered

Hall of Fame and Shame for gardening products...

To all gardening gadget lover guys and gals and those of us whom try any kind of products to make gardening easier. Her is your chance to say it all. Share your view with other fellow gardeners to prevent them from getting that “Waste the time and Moneyâ€

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No experience with either of those; must take Janes word...

Garden Weasel (as seen on TV)

:cry: :cry:

An ok job of cultivating but an annoying habit of shredding leaves lower than 3 inches off the soil...

Weed Wrench

:D :D :D :D :D

Works as advertised, nearly impossible to break it and a JOY to use. If you have large woody weeds (think barberry, multiflora rose, bittersweet, etc., this tool WILL remove them AND their roots (I have personally removed a inch and a half caliper locust tree in less than thirty seconds with the majority of the root mass intact; bit of a power trip :twisted: )

If you hate invasives like I hate invasives, do what I did; buy two! (I got the large and the ex-large) I LOVE THIS TOOL (and they don't pay me a cent fore this stuff; I LOVE THIS TOOL!)

HG

janesmis
Newly Registered

Hi HG,
Just checked out the Weed Wrench on few websites. Although the name “weed wrenchâ€

maraanderson
Newly Registered

BagMaster???

Hi Jane,
Lawn Funnel, definatly a bad idea.
:( :( :( :( :(

Never used the BagMaster, where can I buy one?

Mara

janesmis
Newly Registered

Hi Mara,
If you have to use those Lawn and Leaf Bags to to get rid of your lawn refuse chances are that any hardware store near to you sell them (except for Home Depot).

Jane

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You guys are throwing away yard waste? Don't let Opa hear of it; we are a composting bunch here and think it's one of the best things you can do for your garden (I have done both and composting is best...) You are throwing away gold (A compost tumbler is a big one time expense; bags are going to cost you in the long run and you are throwing away what Mother Nature makes good new soil out of...) :(

Scott

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

By the way, neat idea for a thread, Jane... 8)

Scott

janesmis
Newly Registered

Hi Scott,
I appreciate the tips. Do you have a composter brand that you like to share? Please do :D .

Jane

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There are a number of good ones; I got mine through Gardener's Supply.

Scott

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

hall of fame/shame weigh-in

The Earth Machine prefab compost bin rates a :D :D :D :D with me! It does the job in 1/2 the time of the square bins. I have mine underneath the drip edge of the garage, so when it rains I get lots of good moisture in there. Had a square bin and it took years to get decent compost. With the Earth Machine, I get it in weeks! Another tool I like is the "Ho-MI' or oriental hand hoe, or a number of other names. Heavy duty and perfect for small areas. :D :D :D . One you won't find in any store or catalog is grandma's big metal spoon with wooden handle. One of the best: soil scoops, grub flippers, transplanters, etc., etc., around! 4 :D 's Would like to try an electric pole pruner. Have the Craftsman manual labour version, but want better toy! Any suggestions? Also, where to buy "Weed Wrench"? What does it look like? How heavy is it and is it easily stored in an outside cabinet?

Happy Gardening!
Wingdesigner

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Depends on which Weed Wrench you get, but the big one takes up some space (and they are really only for pulling woody trees and shrubs, not herbacious garden weeds so check it out and see if it suits...

[url]https://www.weedwrench.com/[/url]

I should be getting commission I've sold so many of these for them... :lol:

Scott

Jewel43
Newly Registered

O*ZONELite- definitely hall of fame!

:D :D :D
So I have to admit that I was a completely pathetic gardner when my husband and I first moved into our big new house with a big lawn. I just couldn't seem to get anything to grow. Finally, probably after she got sick of seeing my bare lawn, my neighbor came over with an O*ZONELite. We plugged it into one of the outdoor outlets and within weeks I actually had flowers! Just from plugging in this light bulb! It so cool- and it uses no toxins or chemicals so there was no chance of my dogs chewing the grass and getting poisoned or anything. Anyway, O*ZONELite saved my lawn- when I saw this category I just had to brag. :D :D :D :D

Annemieke

I'm a lover of old topics and found this one. In the hall of fame must be a place for the bokashi bin. With the Bokashi you can make and use your own compost. You can even use this bin when have a tiny little garden, just a balcony or a roof (veggie) garden. I use two Bokashi bins, one to fill and the the other one to compost and use the compost. :D :D 8)

Annemieke
Save dragons, defeat spoiled princesses, kiss from time to time a frog and harvests sweet raspberries.

SWMOgardens
Cool Member

Tile setter knee pads are my most used garden tool.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That's a good one; I like mine...

HG
Scott Reil

mtmickey

garden knife

my favorite tool is my am leonard garden knife. Guaranteed for life and they stand behind it. After using mine for 5 years, my son broke it in half by trying to dig up a tree root and putting pressure on it in a stupid way. All I had to do was pay the shipping and they sent me a brand new one.

Annemieke

The Helpful Gardener wrote:That's a good one; I like mine...

HG
Yes, together with my gloves :D :lol:
Save dragons, defeat spoiled princesses, kiss from time to time a frog and harvests sweet raspberries.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

MtM, hori hori knives are an old Japanese farmers tool that is quickly getting adopted by pro gardeners everywhere, and I am not suprised to see them here; they are indeed an excellent tool...

HG
Scott Reil

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”